Hoof Print

Foreign language fair provides academic recognition

The 2nd Annual Henry County Spanish fair gives students the opportunity to compete with other students in the county with methods of celebrating Spanish heritage.

Sav Simpson, Social Manager

The 2nd annual Henry County Foreign Language  fair will be held on March 26 at Dutchtown High School gives students the opportunity to compete with other students in the county in different categories to demonstrate world cultures.

Students can enter in categories such as dance, art, vocab, music, poem resuscitation, and many others in attempts to demonstrate foreign language culture and heritage while being judged by county representatives. This year, Ola has participants in the art and dance categories as of now.

Participants can enter the fair with different foreign language dances. For Spanish, people celebrated by flamingo dancers to show their Spanish pride.

Sav Simpson

There is a maximum of two participants per language per teacher. Only one student is allowed to participate in one category. The judging criteria ranges from creativity to cultural relevance. Eligible competitors for the competition include foreign language students, native and heritage speakers and speakers of cognate languages.

Because of Ola’s lack of participation last year, Melodie Thurston, Spanish department head, encourages all Spanish students to compete in this year’s county wide fair. “I would love to have students entering in everything, but I really wanted to make sure we had entrance in some kind of event called the Vocab Bee,” Thurston said.

Participation in the competition can result in credit towards a international skills diploma seal for participating in a foreign language event outside of the school week. This seal can go towards getting into a better college.

The idea for a county wide Spanish fair developed in the mind of an Eagles Landing high School teacher who implied an entry fee of $8, on the other hand; if you are an Ola High School contributor, the Spanish department has waved the entry fee.

In years to come, Thurston is hopeful to have more entries to represent the Spanish department of Ola High. “Hopefully it will be a fun event, ” Thurston stated. “we are hoping to get more information since it’s our first year participating.”

Via word of mouth by this year’s participants, Thurston has high hopes of recruiting more participants for next years fair and also by more encouragement in the Spanish class environment. ” It’s just a matter of getting it all organized,” Thurston said.

Students can create pieces of pottery as an entry for the fair. The piece demonstrates Spanish culture by the vibrant colors and shape.

Sav Simpson