Hoof Print

National Honor Society welcomes new inductees

Spring brings a lot of events to Ola, but one of the most notable is the many inductions that take place throughout this time.

Jessica Phillips, Business Manager

The NHS officers preside over the NHS Induction. These four young women were selected as officers due to their leaderships abilities.

On March 30, 2016 at 7:00 pm, Ola’s National Honor Society chapter held their annual induction to welcome new members into their chapter. With 35 newly inducted members, the Olaverse’s NHS chapter saw a record-breaking inductee class this year.

The ceremony began with the current members leading the inductees into the rifle range for the induction, and after a brief welcome from NHS’ current president, Claire Burnett, senior, the club’s adviser, Tony Head, math teacher, gave a few words regarding what would take place that evening.

“We are excited that you are here,” Head said, smiling at the excited parents and students, “It is an honor – indeed an honor – to stand before these wonderful young men and ladies everyday.”

The requirements of NHS are simple, but students must work to attain them. Every student inducted into the National Honor Society is required to have a 93 numeric average, as well as exemplary character and service in the classroom and out of it.

“We look at their involvement in other school activities, we receive teacher recommendations,” Claire Burnett, senior and president of NHS, said, “They have to have outstanding service and outstanding character. It’s what we look for beyond their grades.”

After the welcome from both Head and Burnett, Burnett leads the entire ceremony’s participants in the recitation of the pledge of allegiance. Then, Burnett introduced the four qualities of someone who belongs in NHS: Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character.

Kayla Swain, senior, introduced the quality of Scholarship, which she identified as a “commitment to learning” and a “commitment to seeking further knowledge”.

Arryanna Allen, senior, introduced the quality of Service, which she identified as a “willingness to help others without monetary compensation or personal gain”.

Katelyn Gregory, senior, introduced the quality of Leadership, which she identified as a “willingness to yield one’s personal interests for others” and to “sacrifice their times to aid others”.

And finally, Holly John, senior,  introduced the quality of Character, which she identified as “the thing that sets one apart from everyone else and makes them who they are”.

Once the four qualities were introduced, Burnett recognized each of the inductees. Thirty-five people were to be inducted, but due to prior commitments, only twenty-nine were able to attend the meeting.

The following people were inducted into the National Honor Society as of March 30.

1. Ethan Ahonen (11)
  2. Olivia Bell (11)
  3. Shane Blalock (11)
  4. Kaylee Blount (10)
  5. Kayley Boan (10) (HP Staff Member)
  6. Bailey Brannan (11)
  7. Hailey Brannan (11)
  8. Rachel Brown (11)
  9. Connor Coddington (10)
  10. Garrett Crosby (10)
  11. Bailey Cox (10)
  12. Taylor Daniel (10)
  13. Sophia Davis (10)
  14. Alexis Grady (10)
  15. Jordan Harada (10)
  16. Kendell Hart (10)
  17. Gracie Henderson (10)
  18. Sharde King (11)
  19. Bryce Lawerence (10)
  20. Erin Ledbetter (10)
  21. Moya Leung (11)
  22. Natalie Mangual (10)
  23. Rachel McPhaul (10)
  24. Jessica Nelson (10)
  25. Hima Nesbit (10)
  26. Hannah Nobles (10)
  27. Maggie Robinson (10)
  28. Shyann Roddy (11)
  29. Savannah Simpson (10) (HP Staff Member)
  30. Mikhail Sims (10)
  31. Emily Smith (11)
  32. Taylor Swain (10)
  33. Taylor Watkins (10) (HP Staff Member)
  34. Bryce White (10)
  35. Ethan Zakrewski (10) (HP Staff Member)

Once the students were recognized, Mr. Shedd took the time to speak about the accomplishments that these students have presented to our school.

Shedd began his speech with an analogy, where he likened the accomplishments students have at Ola High School to a fire.

“There are three distinct things you have to have in order to have a fire. You have to have: heat, oxygen, and fuel. Anytime you take away any one of those elements, the fire is extinguished,” Shedd began, “I think that is applicable to what we do here at Ola High School. It takes scholars, parents – with their support and encouragements of students, and it takes the dedication of the great teachers at Ola High School.”

Shedd however, then took his speech into a different direction when he chose to spotlight the current NHS members and the accomplishments they have welcomed.

“One of the four elements we heard tonight was the idea of service,” Shedd stated, “we have students at Ola High School who struggle, at times, academically. Those kids – at time – have needed a little help. Claire [Burnett] and the other officers came to me at the beginning of the year and said, we would like to start a mentoring program for some of those students.”

It was at this point in his speech that Shedd became emotional about the work the NHS students have done.

“Some of our ninth graders this year have been living in the land of averages of five and ten or twenty; some of these NHS folks have become mentors to some of our struggling ninth graders,” Shedd started proudly, “Teachers can say things, and parents can say things, but let me tell you these kids, I don’t know what it is, the relationship is truly amazing when you see them interact with these ninth graders.”

Shedd went on to highlight how the students didn’t take no for an answer and don’t take excuses from these ninth graders. Shedd talked highly about how the mentoring program put on by the NHS has shifted the atmosphere and has changed the lives of the youngest students in the Olaverse.

“These students – for the first time – are beginning to see hope.” Shedd thanked the current members, then brought his attention to the inductees.

“You have been recognized tonight for your incredible work and your perseverance,” Shedd began, “but it takes more than that. You need to mentor, and you need to lead.”

The students were welcomed with a round of applause and closing words from Shedd.

“This is an impressive group of young people and I look forward to seeing their work in the future,” said Shedd