Hoof Print

Happy belated return, veterans

Vietnam veterans returned from war and America is finally embracing their return.

Raven Woodlief, Staff Writer

Photo by Taylor Watkins. Veterans and their family stand for the pledge during a recent Memorial at Heritage Park. They finally received respect they deserved.

Photo by Taylor Watkins. Veterans and their family stand for the pledge during a recent Memorial at Heritage Park. They finally received the respect they deserved.

Unlike everyone who had laid their life down in defense, or for the opposition of their country, the veterans coming home from Vietnam were welcomed with a cold shoulder and general disgust. Public support of the war left years before it reached its conclusion under Nixon, 37th president of the United States. The war was brought to an end after public demand.

There was a minor and temporary loss with the Tet Offensive on Jan. 30, 1968, in which the Vietcong overtook nearly every American military base across southern Vietnam. The United States military retook their bases shortly and everything but eliminated the Vietcong, but the American media reported the information in such a manner that the general public feared the war had been lost and now senselessly money was being drained from their pockets and their sons and daughters being slaughtered without reason.

When troops were finally withdrawn people didn’t celebrate as they had with the World Wars or the Korean War. There were no famous pictures beloved for decades. Soldiers returned and didn’t want to boast of extravagant war stories, they wanted to forget they had ever been in any war. Vietnam was an American shame. It was a new breed of war fought in jungle with cloak-and-dagger tactics and cowardly ambushes.

It’s been almost half a century since the war and Americans are recognizing the way the actualized the arrival of Vietnam veterans to their homes. Ceremonies and memorials are commemorating the tribulations of veterans who were not welcome once they returned. America regrets its wrongful reaction to the return of its children and Veterans regret a generally mandatory participation that marred their lives.

Welcome home veterans.