Hoof Print

Senior Night offers students information and excitement

Representatives from schools throughout the state gave students a taste of the college researching process last Tuesday evening at Ola’s Senior Night.

Students+talk+with+a+representative+from+Lincoln+Auto+Tech+Program.+Tuesday+night+students+and+parents+collected+information++from+schools+from+all+over+the+state.+
Students talk with a representative from Lincoln Auto Tech Program. Tuesday night students and parents collected information  from schools from all over the state.

Students talk with a representative from Lincoln Auto Tech Program. Tuesday night students and parents collected information from schools from all over the state.

Emilie Castillo, Managing Editor

Ola hosted its tenth annual Senior Night last Tuesday, Sept. 13. From 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM students and parents filed into the commons to check out a number of college and technical school representatives.

Schools from all over Ga come to talk to students and parents about the college application process that is now fast approaching. Colleges as well as technical schools and military branches set up tables around the commons and met with people one on one throughout the evening.

Rick Marinaccio, guidance counselor, organizes the event each year and aims to invite the colleges Ola students have often attended in the past. This year there were a variety of local schools such as Southern Crescent Technical College, Gordon and Clayton State and Georgia Perimeter. As well as inviting local institutions Marinaccio likes to branch out to other universities throughout the state like Georgia College and State University. For the past six years, even the University of Alabama has attended. The Georgia State Finance Commission was also in attendance along with a U.S. Navy representative and a handful of specialty schools.  

Marinaccio said, “I certainly think that the students get a lot out of being able to interact and pick up materials and sort of get excited about ‘okay it’s real, it’s here, it’s time to start applying to college or technical school.’ This is kind of the wake up call or the green light… another thing is it’s a great time for them to begin the process of getting information.”

Along with numerous higher education representatives, members of Ola’s yearbooks staff, Senior sponsors, and Balfour were also at the event. Valerie Withers, AP Literature teacher, presented more information on the England trip and other Class of 2017 information, and representative of the Balfour Company, John Smith, talked to students and parents about class rings, T-shirts and other services they offer through the school. Deborah Salter, yearbook adviser, was there with a few staff members to promote the yearbook.

In years past Salter has come up with new ways to draw attention to their table by setting up games and prizes. One year they set up an apple bobbing contest, which apparently ended in excess water displaced all throughout the commons, and another year they did a contest in which contestants ate donuts off a string without the use of their hands. Yearbookers did not disappoint Tuesday, and concocted a game consisting of tossing marshmallows into cups within a 40 second time constraint. Prizes included selfie-sticks, free icons, and more. The real kicker was the loud sucking sound a contestants shoes were prone to make after leaving the station; turns out marshmallows and tile make a sticky combination.

“We’re just drawing customers, trying to get people’s attention, so they’ll come over to the table. I don’t want them to just ignore us. Plus we give out little prizes…  We want it to be fun because we know we’re always sending, sending, sending but you would be shocked by the sheer number of people that don’t even know things are happening. It’s crazy. So the more we can get the word out there, we really want people to get the best deal and save the most money. We know it’s expensive so we really try to pre-sale as much as possible,” Salter said.  

The event ran smoothly with people filtering in throughout the evening from as early as 6:15 PM to as late as 7:40 PM. The Henry County PROBE Fair Union Grove is hosting Monday, Sep. 26, will be another opportunity for seniors to get information from colleges and universities. The event will start at 6 PM and will host a variety of schools. For more information students can visit the bulletin board across the hall from the guidance office.

“There’s so many things to learn. The senior year is one of the most stressful years of high school. It’s a lot of fun; you’re the king of the hill, but it’s very stressful. This is a way of beginning to get some of that stress – kind of relieving it by starting to take action and getting information,” said Marinaccio.

Students participate in a marshmallow tossing contest at the Yearbook table. The Yearbook has been holding contests at Senior Night nearly every year there's been one.

Students participate in a marshmallow tossing contest at the Yearbook table. The Yearbook has been holding contests at Senior Night nearly every year there’s been one.

Courtney Sacramo, senior, shows off her school pamphlets. Her and her mother attended Senior Night together.