Hoof Print

Coons creates learning opportunities

Though they start with the same letter, tutoring and teaching are less similar than many would think.

Jackson+gets+tutoring+during+D+lunch.+Students+who+come+to+tutoring+get+an+individual+learning+experience.+
Jackson gets tutoring during D lunch. Students who come to tutoring get an individual learning experience.

Taylor Watkins

Taylor Watkins

Taylor Watkins, Editor-in-Chief

When Laura Coons arrived at Ola two years ago her schedule looked the same as many other teachers five periods of lessons and then one period of planning, but instead of an IF class filling that 7th spot, Coons was given tutoring during her fourth period. This program allows students to get help in the areas of math that confuse them.

“In a classroom situation  where you’ve got like 28 kids in a class, you can’t go around individually and get kids to talk to you about what’s going through their mind…here it’s easier to do that since it is one on one and we aren’t pressed for time…they can tell me what they were thinking and then I can sort of say ‘oh okay here’s where in that thought process they got off track,'” Coons said.

Math tutoring has grown since last year, Coons thinks this is because now she’s been here longer and more students know who she is.

“There are certain teachers that definitely say ‘yeah go visit Mrs. Coons for tutoring,'” Coons said.

Tutoring takes place during 4th period in room 126, any lunch period is welcome. Coons will see students of any math class except AP statistics.

“If it’s anything AP stat related I send them to Mrs. Young. Statistics is not my best,” Coons said.

Students must bring a worksheet or test to show Coons the concept they’re struggling with.

“Because tutoring all levels, I can’t come up with problems for all that they have to come with it,” Coons said.

These tutoring sessions are completely voluntary, and the students who show up have chosen to do so. Coons describes these students as motivated and willing to learn. One of these students, Deltwan Jackson, junior, has attended Coons tutoring many times and has seen improvement in his math comprehension.

“She has different methods on how to work out problems. It’s more broken down and easy to work out than what we do in class,” Jackson said.

Tony Head promotes Coons tutoring by writing it on his board and telling his students frequently about this opportunity.

“The big thing I like about math tutoring with a different teacher is that you hear the concept from a different voice and a different perspective and sometimes that makes all the difference in the student understanding the concept,” Head said.

Coons favorite thing about tutoring is seeing the students catch on to math concepts.

“Seeing that light bulb go on in their head and say ‘Oh okay I get it!’ Coons said.