Sims introduces students to a world of images

The new photography club has kicked off and members have already begun their journey of learning.

Taylor Watkins, Editor-in-Chief

Sims assists student in making a double exposure in photoshop. Sims started learning photoshop skills two years ago.

Taylor Watkins
Sims assists student in making a double exposure in Photoshop. Sims started learning Photoshop skills two years ago.

“Wait, how do I…”

This is the beginning of a statement someone might hear often when attending a photography club meeting.

For Mikhail Sims, junior, photography is a learning process, and he wanted to share what he knows with everyone else.

Sims started  the photography club because he thought the school needed a place for photographers to come together and learn more about photography; the first meeting was Tuesday, Oct. 5.

“Every time I do something I learn a little more about photography,” Sims said.

Sims decided to start the club because it relates to his directed study project. Directed study is a class in which the students decide what they want to learn or create, and Sims’s project is to learn more about photography.

“I’m doing a photoshoot inspired by Lemonade currently,” Sims said about his project.

The goals of the club are to improve members photography skills by providing opportunities to hone their skills, visiting museums, and hear guest speakers talk about their life in photography. Sims end goal is for everyone in the club to have a portfolio of photos and to put together a gallery of the club member’s work for others to visit and look at.

In the last meeting, members created double exposures in photoshop. The objective was to take a still portrait and replace the face with an image of choice.

In the last meeting, members created double exposures in Photoshop. The objective was to take a still portrait and replace the face with an image of choice.

As photo editor of the yearbook Sims, helps others on staff create good photos, and, because of this, he is well qualified to help other students create good photos.

“He’s answered my frantic questions, because I was desperate to get this one shot and I knew I needed it but it just wasn’t working, so I called him up…and he helped me,” Kendi Mitchell, yearbook member, said.

One of the skills members of the club will learn is the different styles of photography, and Sims has his own style.

“He takes a lot of pictures that are really up close, so they’re really detailed. They’re very personal. It makes you feel like you’re really there,” Jordan Greenwood, co-editor-in-chief of the yearbook, said.

“He’s always had natural abilities to be able to take pictures,” Greenwood said.

Sims offers this club as a relaxing environment for those who enjoy photography.

“It’s not a very serious environment like we’re just chilling. Some nerds with cameras,” he said.

Their next meeting is Dec. 13.