Hoof Print

Swim team splashes into success

The OHS swim team splashes their way to County Championships with 10 out of 11 school records broken within their regular season.

Savannah Simpson, Opinions Editor

To finish off their regular swim season, the swim team pulled off a huge victory, beating the second place team by over one hundred points at their swim meet on January 18th.

Emilie Castillo
Junior Maggie Robinson swims down the lane in efforts to be first place. Robinson was a part of the Medley and Freestyle team to break two of ten records broken in the team’s 2016 regular season.

“The kids have been working hard; we have a great group of girls who come together and push each other,” swim coach John Wood said. Wood believes that the success of the team come from the hard work and dedication the swimmers have put into their 2016 season.

The swimmers also continued to break records set in the 200 Medley Relay; the relay team includes Kylah McDonald, Naomi Moore, Montana LeQuire and Maggie Robinson. The 200 Freestyle Relay also broke time records at the mid-January meet; the team includes Kylah McDonald, Naomi Moore, Montana LeQuire and Maggie Robinson.

Over the course of the season, the team was able to break 10 out of 11 school records set by the past three swim teams in OHS history.

Emilie castillo
Senior Ashley Shaw splashes through the water to help push the team for another victory. Earlier in the season, Shaw had broken one of the ten records broken in the swim team’s 2016 season for the 500 meter race.

Over the course of the season, meet to meet, the coaches and swimmers take a look at the team’s technique in order to prepare for the pool ahead. “Th ere is a little tweaking we need to do here and there,” Wood said.

For support, head out to the Clayton County Aquatic Center on Saturday, January 28th at 9:30 a.m. as they dip into the pool once again to compete for the Henry County Swim Championship title for the third consecutive year.