Students prepare for blood drive

McKenize Scott, Hayli Bryant and Rory Luxemburger, seniors, help students sign up for the blood drive. The Red Cross appreciated the help from Ola’s HOSA club.

Katie Morris

Katie Morris

Katie Morris

Students prepare for blood drive

March 15, 2019

HOSA will sponsor another blood drive, on March 27. Donors must be 17 years of age or be 16 with a signed parental consent form, and also a valid state ID. Donors should weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health.

“Many people are reluctant to donate because they don’t know the process,” Jerri Morris, a Registered Nurse at Piedmont Henry, said.

To prepare the body for donation, participants can make specific choices.

“On the day of the blood drive, eat a good, iron-enriched breakfast and drink at least two glasses of water,” Jack Thompson, senior, said.

Upon arriving at the drive, a series of confidential questions will be asked by a Red Cross employee to determine the donor’s health. The employee will also take along with vital signs such as blood pressure and temperature will be recorded and iron levels will be checked.

Once the screening process is complete, the donation process should take about ten minutes.

When a pint is collected, the needle will be withdrawn and a bandage will be placed. In the recovery process, which lasts 15-20 minutes, the donor will be given a snack and some juice.  

“Feeling extremely dizzy or light-headed is not normal, and a staff member should be notified,” Bo Brannan, junior, said.

After the recovery period, donors may resume normal activity.

“Stenosis exercise should be avoided the rest of the day,” Casey Hinshaw, sophomore, said.

Just remember to keep hydrating drink an extra two bottles of water. An individual may donate blood every 56 days and each donation may save up to 3 lives. For more information go to https://www.redcrossblood.org.

Hoof Print • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in