Skills USA struts the runway

Skills USA struts the runway

Jedea Cook, Staff Writer

Ashley Edwards
Asya Bradley, junior,Shines while she flashes a smile to her peers. Posed in front of the crowd, she bought her prescenes to the stage.

Shaking up the vibe, Skills USA held their first fashion show on March 15 in the commons area. Christina Holley, Skills USA advisor, hosted her relative’s dress shop items looking to give one lucky senior a dress that is in financial need.

“I definitely want to give out to the community help the young ladies as we can because of course, prom is expensive and not everybody can afford it, but everybody deserves to go,” Jacinda Davis, Dernier Cri Gown owner, said.

Tightening the loose ends in the first lunch, the models were nervous to be in front of their peers while wearing gorgeous prom gowns. Andrea Vera, junior, enjoyed modeling on the red carpet.

“I was like really nervous and scared of it, but it’s such a good vibe around the girls though I love it,” Vera said.

The crowd’s response elated the girls and boosted their confidence.  Teachers and students stopped by the cafeteria to see the show.

“I really enjoyed the fashion show, it kept my attention during lunch, and I enjoyed all the colored and different styled dresses,” Aubrey Ergle, freshman, said.

Behind the scenes, Holley explained that most of the students modeling come from Skills USA or the fashion club and they were willing to volunteer and make a social outbreak for other peers to see.

“What we’re looking to do is just to let young ladies know that no matter what their size or what background that they come from that they are all beautiful regardless of what they think about themselves,” Holley said.

Looking to close the gap on the runway, Asya Bradley, junior, went into the fashion show nervous but came out confident. Bradley’s goal was to help other girls overcome their anxieties about the way they feel about their bodies and how other people see them.

“I feel like it’s a good opportunity for girls to express themselves, especially do something different in high school that they really don’t have, so it’s a really good opportunity,” Bradley said.

Jedea Cook
Jacinda Davis, Owner of Dernier Cri Gowns, is happy to show what her shop has to offer at Ola. In years to come she plans on returning

For other girls out there looking to be a candidate for the free prom dress it is not too late. To qualify the minimum requirements consist of being a Student at Ola High school, a senior, nominated by prom advisors, show financial need,  complete an application and passing all academic courses.

The deadline is March 22, 2019. For those who are interested, see Holley in room 415.