Seniors announce college decisions

Ola High's second annual academic signing day celebrates student commitment after high school

Kortney Huggins and Ashley Edwards

In recognition for their scholarly achievements and furthering their education, seniors and their families gathered in the gym for Academic Signing day.

The gym was filled with colorful balloons, school memorabilia, and excited seniors that were prepared to sign to their colleges of choice. The morning began with inspiring words from junior class President, Zac Aaron, and Vice President, Summer Clark. In their speeches, Aaron and Clark hoped to encourage the junior class to have more participants next year than the seniors did this year.

Following the opening speeches, counselors and the administrative staff called out the names of students and the colleges they plan to attend. Or for a few students, they called out the military branch they are planning to enter.

“I’m excited because, you know, I’m about to start life,” Alizana Cummings, senior said who is planning on going into the Navy.

Concluding the ceremony, principal, David Shedd, gave some wise words of advice and encouragement to the soon-to-be college freshman and military troops.

At the end of the ceremony, juniors that attended were invited to the floor to speak to the seniors about the college choice and ask any questions they may have had. With double the amount of participants from last year, Ola hopes to keep having these numbers go up in years to come.

• Mr.Shedd congratulates a student planning on enlisting in the military. Enlisting offered many scholarship opportunities for students.

• Chad Hill, senior, shakes Mr.Shedd's hand in honor of Hill's college decision. Hill signed to Kennesaw State University.

• Zac Aaron, junior, asks Hailey Craig, senior and upcoming freshman at Berry College questions about life after high school. Craig plans on going into the science field at Berry

• Bronlyn Holland and Landon Dodson, seniors answer questions about the University of Mississippi. After the signing, juniors and other college preparing students were able to ask questions to different tables.