Local teacher’s talent blossoms on the big screen

Samantha Brown’s flower arrangement featured in box-office hit Avengers: Endgame

These are the featured flowers in the last scene of Endgame that entailed Iron 
Man’s fate.
Brown made a total of 26 of these that the producers needed for filming the final scenes.

photo courtesy of Samantha Brown

These are the featured flowers in the last scene of Endgame that entailed Iron Man’s fate. Brown made a total of 26 of these that the producers needed for filming the final scenes.

Jedea Cook, Staff Writer

Disclaimer: This story does contain spoilers to Avengers: Endgame

Jan’s Flowers and Gifts, a company that used to be owned by Samantha Brown,teacher, and her husband, received some attention from the film industry just two years ago, when a visual props manager came in and asked Brown if she could make an arrangement in a circular shape that could float on water.

At the time, Brown did not know what film it was for, but she ended up making 20 identical arrangements in the following days. The film ended up being Marvel’s “Avengers: Endgame”.

“Of course nobody knew about it at the time except for the person who purchased them…We did have sequential business from the movie, so as a small business, it was good revenue and good income for us,” Brown said.

With Endgame coming out April 26, 2019, fans everywhere have still been raving to see it. Since the last movie, “Avengers: Infinity War”, many fans were shocked at the ending and how it impacted the characters. Reviews on Marvel’s movie prior to this, Captain Marvel, were not as good as Infinity War, so most people were excited and nervous for Endgame.

“[Endgame was the] Greatest movie of all time,” Jacob Holub, sophomore, said.”

— Jacob Holub

Viewers that have seen the movie know that in “Avengers: Endgame”, Iron Man ends the fight before dying. At the end of the scene, his wife has flowers and puts them into the lake. In the center of the flowers, there is a hole where has his heart rests. These were the flower arrangements Brown made and they were significant to the end of the movie. At the center of the flower arrangement, lay a message stating that Iron Man has a heart too; making the flowers a sign of rebirth rather than death.

“To be completely honest I knew Marvel was going to give us what we wanted, but still, there was that strange element of surprise that you had no idea what was going to happen. You had, like, so many theories in your head but then you came and sat down, and it was completely different than what you thought,” Kara Tomlinson, sophomore, said.

Although Brown is not an avid Avengers watcher, she enjoyed being able to make these flowers when her shop was still open. At the time her shop was open, she made some flower arrangements for the movie “A Bad Moms Christmas”. She and her husband decided to sell the shop in Oct. 2018 because they wanted to get back to doing what she loved, teaching.  

“I think some of the benefits are the organizational skills that are required to be a teacher, and a business owner are very similar. You also have to have good customer skills and good personality skills, because you have to deal with all kinds of student personalities. You have to deal with all types of people and just satisfying those people and making them happy,” Brown said.

Even though she no longer owns the flower shop, she enjoys teaching math more than anything and was elated about how her business impacted the movie Avengers: Endgame.

photo courtesy of Gamespot.com
The box-office for Endgame hit 500 million and is said to not beat Avatar as the highest grossing movie this year.
This is the film cover for Avengers: Endgame that just recently came out Apr. 26, 2019.