Coaches Educate Athletes on Heat Exhaustion

Due to extreme temperatures, coaches make sure to educate their teams to ensure safety for athletes.

Zito makes sure to explain the importance of staying hydrated to ensure good health for his players. “You can get really tired really fast if you don’t drink a lot of water, you can get dehydrated really quick too,” Woodson said.

Photo Courtesy of Tyler Reynolds

Photo Courtesy of Tyler Reynolds

Photo Courtesy of Tyler Reynolds

Isabella Chapman, Staff Writer

The Ola community can learn from other schools’ experiences with Heat exhaustion. Jared Zito, football coach, knows the danger of heat exhaustion and what to look out for in his players.

“It is a very serious thing, I think that as older adults we sometimes forget that kids today are not outside as much as we were when we were younger, a lot of kids are inside and on their phones and so they are not acclimated to the heat as much, and so we have to be more aware of that,” Zito said.

There are certain precautions that have to be taken to make sure people stay safe and healthy. Ryan Little, junior, Paris Rudeseal, senior, and Katie Williams, sophomore, have had their own experience with heat exhaustion.

“With mine, I had to sit in an ambulance for like 30 minutes to an hour and they had to treat me and give me something to drink. hey had to hook me up to heart monitors and take my blood pressure several times,” Little said.

Little’s experience with heat exhaustion was very serious as he had to take time off from cross country to recover. 

“I had extreme dehydration that caused the start of kidney failure, which put me in the hospital for about two weeks,” Rudeseal said.

Extreme dehydration can lead to a multitude of problems and can put somebody in the hospital. Rudeseal had to miss a week of school because of her heat exhaustion. Williams went through a more extreme version of heat exhaustion called Vasovagal syncope which wasn’t diagnosed until she went to a cardiologist weeks after her first time experiencing heat exhaustion.

“First I went to the ER and they took my blood pressure, my blood and put in IV’s. They gave me a cat scan, EKG and x-ray. They couldn’t diagnose me so I went to a gastrologist and a cardiologist; both places ran more tests. Only the cardiologist could diagnose me with Vasovagal syncope,” Williams said.

Williams had to miss most of school during Oct. 2018 because of her Vasovagal syncope, and she still has some struggles with fainting. She now has to maintain her sodium levels and she knows what to do if she feels like she is going to pass out. 

“There are a lot of things obviously from someone who has stopped sweating to usually losing some of the colors in their face, maybe not feeling so good and maybe a little nausea those kinds of things, maybe they are a little disoriented in terms of what is going on, those are all kinda classic signs of to be area of and if you see those symptoms then you need to go them into a cool spot,” Zito said. 

These symptoms should be used for warning signs to pull an athlete out of practice or a game. 

“I think it’s sad to see someone die because of the heat and they need more water and to be extra careful,” Jalen Woodson, freshman, said.

Drinking water is very important to stay in good health. If a player doesn’t feel good then that player needs to take a water break.

“If you look at the schedule we have plenty of water breaks, we actually have designed water breaks, so we have six two minute water breaks in our schedule and that is in addition to they can get water whenever they want it, Zito said.

Heat exhaustion is something that people need to look out for because it can be very dangerous depending on how severe it is, and can have fatal consequences.