Grading System Sparks Discussion

In opposition to last years grading policies, which consisted only of assessment grades such as quizzes, unit tests, and projects, this years grading policies have been modified.

Alexis+Allen%2C+freshman%2C+has+come+to+terms+with+the+new+grading+policies+and+finds+herself+being+in+the+middle+by+agreeing+and+disagreeing+with+how+it+all+works.+Allen%2C+finds+herself+checking+her+grades+a+lot+more+often.+It+has+definitely+been+an+adjustment+but+she%E2%80%99s+learning+to+appreciate+the+new+policies.+

Grading System Sparks Discussion

Alexis Allen, freshman, has come to terms with the new grading policies and finds herself being in the middle by agreeing and disagreeing with how it all works. Allen, finds herself checking her grades a lot more often. It has definitely been an adjustment but she’s learning to appreciate the new policies.

Emma Alexander

Emma Alexander

Emma Alexander

Emma Alexander, Staff Writer

With the new school year, comes many changes. However, students were not anticipating new district grading policies to be one of them. Many students have had to adjust to the new system, which naturally comes with feedback, both positive and negative.

Practice work, which can include homework, daily check-ins, or quizzes, counts as 40 percent. Assessment tasks, which includes quizzes, unit tests, and projects also amount to 40 percent of a students grade. End of semester grades which include final exams and midterms, and end of course assessments at the end of the year, count as the final 20 percent of the semester grade.

While some students appreciate that homework counts as much as it does, others not so much. With homework and other in-class assignments weighing 40 percent, students worry that one low grade can drastically change their grades even though this also applies to high grades.

“I definitely wish homework only counted 20 percent of your grade instead of 40 percent, only because missing one piece of homework brings down your grade down a lot,” Alexis Allen, freshman, said.

I think it’s nice when teachers can have some flexibility in how they grade,”

— Katrina Pandya

Student and teacher point of views vary. Some teachers think that the new grading system is harmful to students, others, like Dr. Katrina Pandya, biology teacher, think that the new grading system gives students more opportunity to fix their mistakes and start over.

“I think it’s nice when teachers can have some flexibility in how they grade. The thing I like about the grading system is that the semesters are done at Christmas and students have a fresh start, and you get two grades per year, that I really like,” Pandya said.

Last school year, year-round grading was in place, meaning the grading period started in August and ended in May. This school year, the grading period starts in August and ends in December. Then, it begins again after the Christmas break and ends for the second time in May.

While some students and teachers believe the new grading policies has its benefits, a few argue that some adjustments can be made.

“Changes that could be made is making projects, quizzes, tests, and assessments 80 percent of your grade, and homework only 20 percent,” Jakim Rushin, freshman, said.

Students feel that the new grading system has such an impact on their grade due to the fact that practice work counts more than assessments do. With this being the case, stress and frustration seems to be common in students.

“My math grade dropped a lot due to me not finishing my study guide, if practice didn’t count so much, my grade would still be passing,” Allen said.

Although the new policies restrict flexibility and can cause grades to drop, extra credit or re-assessments are often presented. Depending on the teacher, extra credit or re-assessments can replace failing grades in Infinite Campus.

“Some of my teachers offer extra credit, this helped my grade, which is appreciated,” Allen said.