Kassidy Young Strikes Out of the Shadows

Kassidy Young, sophomore, has a passion for bowling sets her apart from the rest.

Bowling is important for K. Young as she can gain different awards, scholarships and experiences. “I started getting interested in competitive bowling about 3 years ago when I went to my first national championship,” K. Young said.

Photo Courtesy of Rebecca Young

Photo Courtesy of Rebecca Young

Photo Courtesy of Rebecca Young

Isabella Chapman, Staff Writer

Kassidy Young, sophomore, is seen as the hard-working shy girl in a class by many of her teachers such as John Wood, AP art teacher. What teachers and peers might not know is Young’s adoration for bowling that has earned her multiple awards.

“She stays diligent and she usually gets her stuff done on time,” Wood said.

Young started bowling when she was eight years old. As she continued to bowl she learned better techniques from her mom Rebecca Young, AP Statistics and Advanced Algebra teacher, and her dad.

“I started bowling in tournaments when I was ten and took third place in a state tournament. I continued to bowl in youth league and tournaments around the state. The year I turned 13, I made it to my first Junior Gold National Championship,” K. Young said.

This summer K. Young competed in the Georgia Games and got a second-place along with the National Championship in Detroit, placing in the top three. R. Young not only attends to be her number one supporter, but also to feed her love for the game. 

“Bowling has become part of my life. When I am not at school or doing school-related things, I am working on bowling. I am truly devoted to the sport and love being a part of that world, both as a bowler, coach, and mom,” R. Young.

Photo Courtesy of Rebecca Young
K. Young’s multiple jerseys represent her love for the sport and R.Young shares the same sentiment. “I have always enjoyed bowling, but once I became involved with helping the youth bowlers, the passion for the sport grew,” R. Young said.

Youth bowlers, who compete in the youth league, can get scholarship money from competing in different bracket-style tournaments that can last for multiple days. These tournaments can be held anywhere for a number of different reasons.

“I have continued to compete in tournaments in Georgia, Florida, Texas, Ohio, and Michigan. This year, I made the Georgia Interstate State All-Star team that competes against teams from North and South Carolina. I have also already qualified for the Junior Gold National Championship that will be in Las Vegas next July,” K. Young said.

There are competitions where bowlers compete individually in a sports shot, which is where there is a special layout of oil on the lanes, every tournament has a different oil pattern, so it makes the challenge more difficult. K. Young finds out about tournaments in her youth league and online.

“Competitions vary depending on the type. Every year, the Atlanta area has a city tournament that has singles, doubles, and team events. The state also has these same types of tournaments. They have separate youth and adult tournaments of this type,” R. Young said.

Bowling has become part of my life”

— Rebecca Young

In competitions and tournaments, the bowlers are usually up against bowlers of the same age. Based on their score, bowlers are ranked and given awards for their place.

“The best I have done is a silver medal at the Georgia Games,” R. Young said. 

Bowling takes patience, time, and practice. K. Young practices for about four to five hours a week and is at the league two hours a week. All the practice and hard work has paid off gaining K. Young many memories.

“A few years ago, I was bowling the doubles event in the state tournament. My partner and I were bowling really well and she actually bowled a 300, which is the highest score you can get. We took first place in the state that year,” K. Young said.

K. Young plans on continuing her career in bowling into college to further her skills and fuel her desire for bowling.