Ola Reminiscences on Successful Homecoming Week

Payton+DiSario%2C+junior%2C+poses+with+her+%22Friends%22+on+Character+day.+The+group+got+the+idea+from+a+famous+episode+of+%22Friends%22and+wanted+to+re-create+their+look.+

Payton DiSario, junior, poses with her

Payton DiSario, junior, poses with her "Friends" on Character day. The group got the idea from a famous episode of "Friends"and wanted to re-create their look.

Photo Courtesy of Payton DiSario

Photo Courtesy of Payton DiSario

Photo Courtesy of Payton DiSario

Kortney Huggins, J1 Mentor and Student Life Editor

After a fun-filled week of celebration, students are reflecting on both the themes and the dance. Looking back, students have developed opinions as wells as goals for future homecomings.

“I can see where they [Student Government Association (SGA)] tried to get more creative, but I also feel like some of the themes were like, a little ‘out-there’,” Christian Hooker, senior, said.

When the Student Government Association first announced the themes for the 2019-2020 Homecoming week, there was a bit of backlash from the students at Ola.

“I think that my least favorite day of the week was jersey day. I just feel like it was a little weird,” Alexis Dunn, senior, said.

Despite the initial discontent, students and staff did not fail when it came to time to showcase their spirit. Each class participated in hallway decorations, dressing for themes, and cheering during the pep rally which was held following the annual Homecoming parade.

“I like the pep rally because it just brings all the classes together and gets everyone hyped for the game… My favorite part about performing on homecoming is hearing the crowd cheer when they enjoy certain parts of the show,” Dunn said.

My favorite part about performing on homecoming is hearing the crowd cheer when they enjoy certain parts of the show”

— Alexis Dunn

As the festivities continued into the afternoon, the Marching Mustangs were gearing up to perform their full 2019 production of their show, “True North”. The band wowed the crowd and provided even more excitement and anticipation for the game.

“The bands show is really cool and interesting. My favorite part of it is the music they play,” Hooker said.

Following the band’s sensational performance and straying from tradition a tad, the national anthem was sung by Edward Fairley, a senior chorus student who impressed the Ola community with his amazing vocal skills.

“Initially it was supposed to be a chorus thing, they would get together with the middle school… it’s a tradition we had every homecoming. But the fact of bad weather coming in kind of negated the idea. So Mrs. Forehand was like ‘You know what? Why don’t you just do it in the booth?’ and I was like ‘Sure, okay’,” Fairley said.

After kickoff, the excitement was met with a slight downpour of rain. But Ola’s community used the rain as a source of encouragement to continue cheering on the football team.

“I think they [football players] handled the adversity well… they didn’t let the rain get to them,” Dunn said.

I’ve never been on homecoming court before so whenever I got on this year I was just excited to experience it”

— Lynzie Lyle

At halftime, the Homecoming court was introduced. Zac Aaron and Lynzie Lyle, seniors, were honored with the title of Homecoming King and Queen.

“[Winning was] totally insane. Like, it was the last thing I would’ve ever expected… I’ve never been on homecoming court before so whenever I got on this year I was just excited to experience it and I went out there and they called my name and it was crazy,” Lyle said.

The continuous excitement from students and staff was matched by the football players that night as they won against Union Grove with a score of 31-28.