Classroom Set Ups Promote Learning

Laura+Coons%2C+math+teacher%2C+likes+her+desk+normally+set+up+in+rows.+During+math+club+she+moved+her+desk+into+groups+for+the+sake+of+communication+between+team+members.+

Classroom Set Ups Promote Learning

Laura Coons, math teacher, likes her desk normally set up in rows. During math club she moved her desk into groups for the sake of communication between team members.

Jedea Cook

Jedea Cook

Jedea Cook

Jedea Cook

Many teachers devote their time into decorating or setting up their classrooms a certain way for their students.  Whether it is a regular desk arrangement or a mix of couches and tables, the preference varies throughout classrooms.

“My classroom is set up with a couple of couches and round and rectangular tables instead of desks. What I hope is happening when I set that up is that its prompting discussion, it’s a more casual environment, and which I hope makes people feel more comfortable and yet engaged in the learning,” Deborah Salter, teacher, said.

Most students prefer working in groups to engage in conversation and to seek help from their peers. While sometimes teachers want their classrooms to be silent with no talking, there are times when some activities can be worked on together.

Jackson Weems
Rosemary Ahonen’s AP Psychology class, as her student made their brain diagrams she put them on the wall. Ahonen encouraged her students to use color and be precise throughout this assignment

“Mrs. McCreary’s audio-video technology class gives people the opportunity to work on their own pace. I think if it had regular desk it would be less creative and we wouldn’t be able to work together. We would be constantly having to push desk together, wherewith tables you are more able to collaborate with people,” Justin Zac-Williams, junior, said. 

Some students believe that working in groups is more helpful than individual learning. Most times students find communication with a peer aids them to think and create ideas. Other times students prefer working alone, so they can fully concentrate on the concept they are learning, instead of being put into groups where their peers will not cooperate with them.  

“It works good for me, however sometimes I’m in a group with people who don’t want to do work and they give all the work to me and I don’t like that,” Mikaela Smith, sophomore, said. 

Teachers with more moderate classrooms and regular desk believe that classroom setups bombard students with too much visual information. It can be hard at times when students are trying to focus on one thing while they are also engaged in looking at a poster on the wall or seasonal classroom decorations.

“Students find a way to get disengaged no matter how rows are set up. Whether desk are in square groupings, rows, students get distracted because that just what students do,” Dave Mayer, teacher, said. 

Jackson Weems
Jordyn Pack, sophomore, enjoys her early childhood class and is excited to work with the kids in the second semester. Pack found that her first year was fun so she decided to come back for a second.

No matter the length of a desk of rows or how neutral the classroom maybe, throughout the variety of students everyone prefers something different. Everyone deserves an equal learning opportunity and with every classroom, a different effect is left on each student.