FFA Plants Seed for Future Success

Kaylee+Moss%2C+junior%2C+pulls+weeds+from+an+older+fern+in+order+to+preserve+its+color.+The+fern+was+grown+indoors+to+promote+full+growth.+

FFA Plants Seed for Future Success

Kaylee Moss, junior, pulls weeds from an older fern in order to preserve its color. The fern was grown indoors to promote full growth.

Kortney Huggins

Kortney Huggins

Kortney Huggins

Kortney Huggins, J1 Mentor and Student Life Editor

The members of Ola’s Future Farmers of America (FFA) chapter teamed up with the students in agriculture classes to prepare and sell winter plants during the week of Nov. 18 through Nov. 22. 

“The main difference is the plants we sell. These are wintertime plants and they usually stay in the house. But in the spring there are plants that you can put outside and use in gardens like vegetables and flowers,” Kaylee Moss, junior and FFA secretary, said. 

The winter sale is designed to make a profit for the FFA chapter to use towards plants for future sales and to provide supplies for FFA meetings. The winter sale also allows students to contribute their knowledge of winter plants to customers who buy them. 

“I feel like it really teaches them [students] that there are plants that you can plant in late October, early November and will live through the whole winter through frost and snow… It just shows them a different group of plants that they don’t always get to see,” Tyler Huff, agriculture teacher and FFA advisor, said.

Students gain an opportunity of further their plant education as well as promoting and selling the plants that they grew themselves. Students and staff have another opportunity to buy more varieties of plants following the week of spring break at the spring plant sale.