“Frozen II” Proves to be a Polar Opposite

Warning: spoilers ahead

December 16, 2019

Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff look off into the mysteries of the forest beyond them.

Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff look off into the mysteries of the forest beyond them. "Frozen II" sold an estimated $37.4 million in tickets according to nytimes.com

Courtesy of Disney Movies

Courtesy of Disney Movies

Courtesy of Disney Movies

In Walt Disney Pictures’ action-packed sequel to the 2013 blockbuster movie “Frozen”, Elsa (Indina Menzel) takes on her most chaotic and dangerous task yet. After hearing a mysterious siren calling out to her, she embarks on an adventure with her sister Anna (Kristen Bell), Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), Sven and Olaf (Josh Gad) to the enchanted forest in hopes of lifting the curse which locked who and whatever in the forest. After hearing tales from her father regarding why the curse was placed, Elsa will stop at nothing to save Arendale from its impending doom.

Remaining by the side of the two strong, independent female leads on yet another journey, Olaf continues to be the witty character that every Frozen fan fell in love with, including myself. Opening up the scene with his musical piece “When I am Older” when in the enchanted forest brings humor and warmth to the audience in the midst of a crisis. His character never fails to bring a smile to my face and I am hopeful to see more of him in the future of the series.  

The exhilarating storyline and the diversity of characters really brought the story to life. The visuals of when Elsa reached Attahalan, the river that holds all the secrets of the past, honestly left me speechless. The attention to detail to the scenery and the wardrobe when performing her solo “Into the Unknown”, which exhibited substantial amounts of raw emotion,  independence and vulnerability after she discovered that she was the fifth spirit, was breathtaking. The five spirits protect the enchanted forest are fire, earth, wind, water, and Elsa’s magic. 

Another aspect of the movie that I adored was how both sisters continue to support and work together despite being separated throughout most of the film. Though I love them together, I was pleased to see more of Elsa than Anna. In the original, Elsa was kept locked away in her home due to her magic being so powerful, giving her sister the spotlight. Now that she has come to terms with her magic and learned how to control it, we finally got to see what she is really made of. 

As I did some  research, I was surprised to find that Kristen Bell drew inspiration from her own struggles to help give her character some autonomy. 

“I’m ferociously co-dependent, and it’s taken me a long time to learn what to do when I’m alone,” Bell said. She also revealed she wanted a song for Anna about what she is going to do when she does not know what to do. 

As I was in love with this movie overall, I was a bit disappointed that there was not a villain in the film. In the original, Hans Westergaard (Santino Fontana) played Anna’s boyfriend, who ultimately wanted to take the sisters down. On the other hand, the sequel focuses more on the adventure aspect, which is great, but it would have made the movie a bit more interesting if there was an antagonist that went up against Elsa. 

Nonetheless, “Frozen II” continues to exceed my expectations and leave me wanting more. To give the adventurous, unpredictable sequel an almost perfect ending, Elsa becomes queen of the enchanted forest and Anna becomes queen of Arendale, both protecting what they love.