Op-Ed: The Crushing Weight of Standardized Testing

With+the+excessive+amount+of+responsibilities+current+students+have+already%2C+standardized+testing+adds+more+stress.+

Ashley Edwards

With the excessive amount of responsibilities current students have already, standardized testing adds more stress.

Ashley Edwards, Maria Adams, and Payton Disario

Since our elementary school days, standardized testing has been apart of our lives. The continuous over-assessment of students today is overwhelming enough, even without the extraneous exams AP students had to face. With the amendment to the testing policy, we are a step closer to reaching the federal minimum of standardized testing and, hopefully, there will be an improvement in AP scores, financial situations and students’ mental health. 

Students will have more time to spend studying for their AP exams rather than worrying about an unwarranted End of Course Test. The GaDOE amended the policy because of the double standards and extra work AP students must accomplish. 

Not having to take the EOC’s is really stress-relieving. I’m really glad that I don’t have another test to worry about, and I can focus on other things for school,” Riley Theophile, junior, said.

Now, students may focus more on the AP test which they could receive college credit for, which, if passed, can decrease debt in the future. The average cost of a college credit is $600, so, with exam expenses, students will save roughly $506. College debt can weigh students down for years and serve as a burden long after their glory days are over. Hopefully, this policy will encourage students to rise to the challenges an AP course accompanies. 

The Board of Education begins to recognize modern students’ challenges; Georgia still tests above the federal minimum, but Richard Woods, state superintendent, plans to lower the amount of standardized testing. Today, society tells students to be the best academically, athletically, musically and much, much more. Students rarely sleep and suffer under the weight of this stress; however, this amendment alleviates some of the weight of the world, allowing students to lead healthier lives.