Grooving with Far Out Threads

Disco might be dead, but fashion proves itself immortal.

Payton DiSario

Madison Keener, junior, loves incorporating throwback trends into her everyday style. Here, she posed with some of her favorites: a crop top and flannel.

Payton DiSario, Media & Sports Editor

It is inescapable. Legs adorning mom-jeans roam the streets, scrunchies decorate wrists- boys’ and girls’ alike, perms swallow even the tiniest of heads and Doc Martens trudge down the halls. Halloween has already passed, but today’s style seems to have risen from the dead overnight. All the trends from which the world thought it had finally rid itself are back and they are funkier than ever, baby. 

“Everybody’s into that whole nostalgia vibe now. All those ’80s movies are coming back, like “Stranger Things” and stuff, mostly because people miss the good old days,” Julia Mangual, junior, said. 

Although old movies do seem to have become more popular, many feel as though something else is to blame, or thank, for the revival the fashion-world has seen. Chelsea McCreary, audio and visual arts teacher, believes that the Internet is responsible. 

“I feel like everything we do in today’s world is to see how many followers or likes we can get on a post. Any outfit we wear that’s out of the norm, we’re going to post it on social media to get a rise out of people. Our social status is driven by social media,” McCreary said. 

While it may be true that plenty of this generation’s token denim-on-denim-donners find their own inspiration, Cameron Hudson, senior, admits that he relies on influencers along with the majority of his classmates. 

“Chains, pierced ears, vans… those have all come back because one person did it and we all followed. It just takes some big-name celebrity doing it and everyone else will follow,” Hudson said.

It’s something about the nostalgia,”

— Julia Mangual

A big part of social media’s influence, especially Instagram and Tik Tok, has been towards the creation of ‘eBoys’, or electronic boys. An eBoy basically embodies yesterday’s style through today’s lens. Ethan Pangburn, sophomore, believes himself to have become an eBoy after years of fitting in. 

“A bunch of the clothes were really bland and this is more colorful. It catches peoples’ eyes,” Pangburn said. 

However, in a society that worships individuality, eBoys are not the only ones that divert the public’s attention. Anything from bright colors to chokers can attract a crowd, all depending on the person that attempts to pull it off. 

“I think it’s hilarious that stores are selling band t-shirts with bands from the ’60s or ’70s but teenagers have no idea who they are. I get real salty when I see students in, like, a “Rolling Stones” t-shirt and have no idea what I’m talking about when I say identify five songs that Mick Jagger sang,” McCreary said. 

Have no fear, not everyone wears specific clothes for the sake of maintaining appearances. Some have a genuine adoration for a particular style and have no reservations against putting their choice-looks on display. 

“I love watching movies and whatever they wear in those, I kind of steal it. Pretty much any kind of movie works. I love ‘Pretty in Pink’, obviously anything from ‘The Devil Wears Prada’, some of the stuff [Jennifer Garner] wears in ‘13 Going On 30’,” Mangual said.

Payton
These styles might be found decades ago or walking on the street today. Not only did old styles gain popularity, but as did older pastimes such as skating or listening to a record player.

Regardless of their source of inspiration, those iconic bell bottoms everyone seems to have must come from somewhere and they did not just running-man into closets.

“For the past two years, thrift-shopping has become so popular that people actually end up buying those clothes from the nineties or earlier… Truly people are getting in their mom’s closet and wearing whatever they find,” McCreary said.

Pangburn, who’s favorite store is Goodwill, agrees. Hudson, however, typically avoids second-hand stores in favor of newer products.

“Usually the brand makes me want it. I trust specific brand names rather than other types of clothes because that’s what I grew up with,” Hudson said. 

New or old, some trends are just hard not to love. Ola High School even its own “Fanny Pack Friday”. Beyond those, everything from denim skirts to bomber jackets have snuck their way back into the spotlight. 

“I absolutely love high-waisted jeans… I love mule shoes. They wore those in the ’60s. Right now I definitely am drawing on the ’60s,” Mangual said.

Some, like Hudson, may appreciate far-out hair colors. Others, like McCreary, may find joy in things as simple as shorts.

“I love the change in basketball shorts. They have gone from short, then, when I started teaching [at Ola High School], they were all the way to your knee. Now they’re back to mid-thigh,” McCreary said.

Whether society decides to keep these trends around or throw them back, other totally radical styles will replace them. Can you dig it?

“[Trends] always come back. It’s something about the nostalgia,” Mangual said.