Out With the Old and In With the New: New Year’s Resolutions

With following these quick tips, resolutions made are one step closer to being achieved. By completing all goals, the rest of the year is set in motion.

Emma Alexander, Staff Writer

Welcoming every new year comes with most of the population reflecting on the past year and setting resolutions for the current one. These new commitments range from living a healthier lifestyle—whether that is improving eating habits or exercising—to getting out of debt. That is just the thing though: all resolutions come with an immense amount of determination. Although the idea of improving your lifestyle sounds ideal, most individuals do not succeed. 

About 80% of people fail to stick to their New Year’s resolutions for longer than six weeks,”according to the psychological research from Business Insider. This is due to the constant battle about doing what one wants to do rather than what they should do. 

Along with the rest of the world, Ola students face similar challenges when it comes to sticking to their word and completing those tasks. 

“I didn’t set any New Year’s resolutions this year, I always end up forgetting about them after I make them so I don’t bother with it anymore,” Caroline Childers, freshman, said. 

Childers finds keeping up with resolutions difficult because school and band take up most of her time. With her mind being mostly on her education, she puts off other goals. 

Despite some students struggling to either create resolutions or just keep up with them in general, others find that making goals at the beginning of the year sets everything in motion.

“My New Year’s resolution is to work on clearing up my skin. I’m trying my hardest to keep it up and I’m confident I’ll succeed in the long run. I feel like setting goals sets the tone for the rest of the year and overall keeps me motivated,” Hunter Kelly, freshman, said. 

But how exactly do people ensure that all their resolutions are finished? 

To keep yourself focused, stay away from non-committal words, try not getting yourself worried about your healthy decisions, and try and frame them in a way that you think you’ll enjoy,” according to Business Insider

In other words, mental well-being is an essential part of keeping up those goals and commitments. If someone is not in the best headspace, they tend to become lazy and unambitious. 

TED Talks

“Your mental health affects everything in your life. If you’re not in a good space, you’re not going to want to continue doing those things. That is especially important when focusing on working out or losing weight. If your mental state isn’t the best, you’ll become unmotivated and begin slacking,” Childers said. 

According to studies, New Year’s resolutions tend to not last because most people set unrealistic goals and expectations for themselves, which then results in unneeded stress and a tampered mental state. When beginning to plan certain things to achieve throughout this year, start small. 

“For future years, I think if I just choose one specific goal and focus on just that one then it would make it a lot easier and do-able.” Childers said. 

Focusing on just one aspect of a goal makes the probability of accomplishing it far more likely. Completing resolutions should be enjoyable, not stressful.