Burns Writes His Own History

Over Burn’s 30 years of teaching, he learned a variety of ways to connect with students, and his connection impacted their life.

Maria Adams

Burns discusses a project with Jacob Holub, junior.

Payton DiSario

Burns discusses a project with Jacob Holub, junior. “I love his carefree personality, and his honest while teaching makes me excited for his class every day,” Holub said.

Maria Adams and Jordan Davis

Teacher, neighbor, mentor, friend: Jeffery Burns, AP US History teacher, finishes his last year of at Ola Burns began his career in Camden County, Georgia, his alma mater. He helps students learn US history and grow a passion for it. 

“I have always been fascinated to learn about the country I live in, but him speaking about the past of the country and how the constitution was made and things that have happened in this wonderful country, and his lectures are very intriguing,” Errol Anthony McClean, senior, said.

Students love Burns’ class because he relates to them and raises the bar for their education. His passion for history helps make him a beloved teacher.

The students love him. He is an extraordinary teacher… I’m glad he is retiring and that life is going to be good for him, but it’s a huge loss for the school,”

— Deborah Salter

“A good teacher is somebody who knows and enjoys their subject area and who can make connections somehow and present the information and encourage the student to want to learn the information and to go out and learn beyond the classroom,” Burns said. 

Aidan McDonald, senior, benefited from his experience in Burns’ classroom. McDonald views Burns as a mentor, and he now peer facilitates with Burns. 

“Seeing someone and listening to someone talk about [history] so patiently and really helps us enjoy [history],” McDonald said. 

While Burns taught many students, he was also a school neighbor to Deborah Salter, yearbook advisor, for the past few years.

“We will be very sad [when he retires]. The students love him. He is an extraordinary teacher… I’m glad he is retiring and that life is going to be good for him, but it’s a huge loss for the school,” Salter said.

Salter worked with Burns and sees him as very consistent and a steady figure in the building. The most enjoyable memories Salter shares memories with Burns and his family outside of school.

“When [Burns, his wife, daughter, and I] went to trivia, it was very fun. He doesn’t need us, but he allows us to come with him,” Salter said. 

Burns plays many different educational games inside the classroom with his students.

There was this game that we did in [AP European History] where it was to show the progression of the city during the industrial revolution and that little game has stuck with me and something I enjoyed doing,” McDonald said.

Burns knows how to keep students engaged, and students enjoy his unique teaching method.

I love the lecture style that he does;it really helps me learn… he gives both sides about things[history],” Julia Mangual, junior, said.

As soon as school is finished, we[him and his wife] are moving to Florida to be closer to my wife’s family, and as far as what I’m going to do, I would like to do something history-related like work in a museum or a historic site,” Burns said.