Global Coronavirus Impacts Daily Life

Originating in China, coronavirus spreads globally and creates local concern.

Alissa Eckert, MS, Dan Higgins, MAM.

This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed electron microscopically. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Emma Alexander, Staff Writer

Hitting the media in December 2019, COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus disease, quickly became a fatal worldwide epidemic. To date, it has reached 84 countries. This deadly strand is a grave concern for many people. 

SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome) are the originators of COVID-19. The virus is known for its symptoms being similar to the flu but has now surpassed the fatality rate. With 3,353 casualties and counting, the unavailability of vaccines or antiviral medications has become a massive issue. 

“This specific strain of coronavirus is so dangerous because it can sit for 3 to 4 days on it’s own, on a surface and not fall apart. Many viruses have only seconds to infect before they find a new host, the coronavirus doesn’t have seconds, it has days,” Katrina Pandya, teacher said.

Thousands of medical staff in China have been infected due to working amid the chaotic environment of navigating a virus not fully understood. This has created local concern in the United States. 

“Health Workers are at risk of contracting the virus but if they use proper precautions are not,” Pandya said. 

Emma Alexander
Students Kimberly Cox and Natalie Head ensure their safety by using hand-sanitizer. Always keeping your hands clean prevents contact with the virus.

Ola High students took a week long trip to London, Paris, and Rome. While visiting these locations, many of the students took extra safety precautions before and during the trip due to the growth of the virus.

“Before I left I made sure I had plenty of hand sanitizer to take with me and I took airborne to strengthen my immune system,”  Sarah Plemons, junior, said.

But these students were not the only ones taking those extra steps, many individuals in the foreign countries ensured their safety by wearing protective masks.

“I was relieved to see that there were hundreds of people in the airports and train stations with masks on,” Plemons said.

With the virus in constant motion, Georgia has two confirmed cases in Fulton County. This has surrounding areas on edge and has left public school districts including DeKalb County, Cobb county, and Clayton County to plan outlines for potential outbreaks.

Visit the CDC website for situation updates and tips.