Community Urged to Take Precautions

As COVID-19 continues to spread into new areas, risk prevention is important.

The+virus+spreads+quickly+so+washing+hands+frequently+is+a+good+practice+to+keep+up+with.+%E2%80%9CThe+bathrooms+at+school+do+not+have+good+soap+and+it+is+just+foam+junk+so+I+brought+a+thing+of+my+own+soap+and+it+is%2C+like%2C+real+soap%2C%E2%80%9D+Emily+Simpson%2C+sophomore%2C+said.+

Isabella Chapman

The virus spreads quickly so washing hands frequently is a good practice to keep up with. “The bathrooms at school do not have good soap and it is just foam junk so I brought a thing of my own soap and it is, like, real soap,” Emily Simpson, sophomore, said.

Isabella Chapman, Staff Writer

Since its arrival in Georgia earlier this month, people in Henry County need to know how to stay safe and healthy while the coronavirus runs its course. Remaining healthy at this moment is vital for the community as a whole, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, is working hard to get the coronavirus under control.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, led a press briefing about COVID-19, also commonly referred to as the coronavirus.  In her briefing, Messonnier gave facts and information that many need to know. Watch the video to listen to her discussion on risk or read the transcription that has more information along with answers to popular questions. 

There are many different ways to stay healthy, but arguably the most effective technique is washing hands. To stay safe, everyone needs to wash their hands frequently and thoroughly for 20 seconds or more. A splash and is not enough to make sure hands are clean, watch this video to learn the proper techniques to washing hands.

If there is no soap available, use hand sanitizer of at least sixty percent alcohol. Stores are quickly running out of hand sanitizer, but this website has instructions for making some at home. will be fine until there is. Emily Simpson, sophomore, brings her own soap to school so she can wash her hands.

“[The school’s soap] doesn’t lather good and it is a school so it is just generic stuff, and they buy it in bulk so it’s going to be cheaper to buy, like not the good stuff,” Simpson said.

The CDC does not expect most people to develop fatal symptoms. They do, however, think that many people in the United States will be exposed to the coronavirus this year or the next. There are other ways to stay healthy, that will help people stay healthy so they are less likely to catch the coronavirus.

“Rest, and exercise are very important. When you exercise, it increases your immune system by one-hundred percent% for a number of hours afterward, so that’s vital. Getting enough sleep, that’s when the body repairs itself, is also vital, and then washing your hands,” Dr. Katrina Pandya, AP biology and anatomy teacher, said. 

Other ways to prevent the coronavirus is by covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue, avoiding touching the face region, staying home when sick and cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and objects people touch frequently. The CDC does not recommend people who are healthy to wear a facemask, although they should be worn by people who show symptoms of COVID-19.

“It’s probably just close contact with other people who are sick,” Pandya said.

In communities, illnesses spread quickly because of how close people come in contact with each other. The coronavirus can spread by close contact, through respiratory droplets that are produced when a person who is infected sneezes or coughs, person-to-person touching and touching surfaces that have the virus on them.

“I try not to grade very many papers manually, so a lot of my stuff is on the computer and that helps. When I grade papers manually, I don’t eat and I wash my hands afterward, trying not to touch my mouth very much,” Pandya said.

In order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, people with it should stay at home and away from people and animals, clean hands often, avoid sharing personal household items, clean all high-touch surfaces daily and monitor their symptoms. This website shows ways to keep everyone safe.

In response to this CDC advice, David Shedd, principal, announced on 3/11 that janitorial staff would be clearing tables, light switches, and doorknobs more thoroughly than usual. This is to help in the prevention of coronavirus, but the community has to come to a realization that prevention has to come from everyone in order to protect against this new virus that caused a COVID-19.

“Everyone has a role to play to protect our family members, friends, colleagues and neighbors who are at most risk. I understand these recommendations may not be popular and that they may be difficult for some people,” Messonnier said.

Isabella Chapman
Experts advice precaution, not panic. Focus on these wise tips.