Calculating Quarantine Losses and Gains

Jedea Cook

The CDC recommends social distancing, leaving many stuck at home with the only way of seeing friends over the phone. End-of-the-year parties were cancelled and all school-wide events postponed.

Transitioning to remote learning due to COVID-19 was a hard turn of events. Freshman never got to see seniors dress up for senior week, imagining themselves in their place one day. Sophomores missed seeing their favorite juniors slip into the title of ‘senior’. And none of us got to see the seniors walk the halls in their caps and gowns.

During the first weeks the question was, “What have we lost?” but now it is time to ask,“What have we gained?

Jedea Cook
We seem to have an uncertain amount of losses, but where are the gains? Many hoped for our two weeks of remote learning to be longer, and now it is.

“Something negative that’s come from [quarantine] is feeling like I’ve been distanced from some of my friends. The positive is you’re able to see which friends are always there for you, no matter the circumstances,” Emily Powell, senior, said.

Few people enjoy being away from peers and school, particularly the seniors who are missing their last days in the building together. While it is understandable that some feel a sense of loss or confusion, recognizing that we cannot control the uncontrollable is also important. As many begin to accept this reality, they have taken time to reset their focus and hit a restart button.

“I appreciate being able to just spend time with my family and have movie nights and such. I miss being able to see my friends and I miss being able to actually go to church. I’ve gained an appreciation for the simple things in life. I’m not dwelling on the negatives, but looking forward to the positives,” Leah Evans, sophomore, said.

Evans is not alone. Others also find unexpected silver linings.

“The one thing positive from being at home during this time is probably having more time with my family. Many families are always so busy with life, school and work they just lose track of time,” Christian Feltman, sophomore, said.

Students are not the only ones transitioning to the new normal.

Along with being at home and adjusting to at-home learning, teachers are still discovering the ‘ins and outs’ of what learning in this way will do to their students’ motivation and how they finish the year. Jennifer Castro, host of “Technically Learning” reaches out to teachers and students, evaluating the way they are adapting to the new ‘normal’.

In episode three, Castro talked to Gwenn Burgard, a fourth-grade teacher in Central Florida.

“I’ve learned that I need to have a lot more patience. With distanced learning, I think the best thing for teachers to do is to talk to their co-workers because right now we’re not getting that camaraderie that we’d usually get, which makes a school feel so warm and like home in a way,”Burgard said.

Isabella Chapman
The past 46 days spent in quarantine have consisted of non stop movies and games for most. Zackary and Nickolas Chapman, elementary schoolers, played Star Wars Monopoly while on a break from school work

In the end, when life returns to normal many may realize the gains outweigh the losses.