Students Play Into Different Diversions

Students took to starting new hobbies to create their own routine during COVID-19.

Social+media+and+video+calls+allow+students+to+feel+supported+by+their+friends%2C+even+if+they+are+not+seeing+each+other+face-to-face.+%22In+school%2C+not+me+and+all+my+friends+have+the+same+classes%2C+so+it%27s+nice+to+talk+to+them+all+through+the+day%2C%22+Darius+Jones%2C+junior%2C+said.+

Social media and video calls allow students to feel supported by their friends, even if they are not seeing each other face-to-face. “In school, not me and all my friends have the same classes, so it’s nice to talk to them all through the day,” Darius Jones, junior, said.

Emily Freeman, Staff Writer

Summers are associated with excitement and relaxation because students look forward to the two month break from school and free time to do what they want, whether it be hanging out with friends or travelling to new places. This summer could be described as the complete opposite of this because of COVID-19. As a whole, these past few months have been stressful and a cause of anxiety for many. Thankfully, this did not stop students from finding ways to have fun.

“Coach McCreary encouraged us to think outside the box rather than sticking with the normal,” Nia Greyson, junior, said.

Not having school was nice, until it was not. This prompted students to be more creative than ever, as many were willing to go great lengths for some sense of normalcy, often emerging in the form of routine or learning something new, all of which were by choice. Routine establishes consistency, and that was something many people needed in these chaotic months.

Hobbies teach people more than just the specialized skills used for that specific thing; it teaches stick-to-itiveness and patience, which help in all other areas of life. This summer, students had the opportunity to work towards their ambitions in flexible ways.

“…it was super cool to watch Tik Toks about books and interact with people just as crazy about books as I was,” Laurel Ardis, junior, said.

Social media helped lessen the impact of isolation many students felt while staying at home over the summer because interacting with others is so easy now. Students’ routines were as simple as checking social media everyday or working on a new skill for a certain amount of time.

The situation was far from ideal, but COVID-19 provided a change of pace that, as unfortunate the circumstances were, allowed people to try out things for themselves, such as start new hobbies or build friendships.

Starting new hobbies often teaches people to be more open-minded because the learning process is almost addictive. People thrive on the satisfaction of success and it motivates students to continue through the hardships and challenges that come with trying new things. In lieu of performing well on a test or in a game, many looked to their own interests and aspirations for entertainment. 

“…I’ve wanted to keep learning throughout school, but I have no time or resources to learn,” Jayla Jenkins, senior, said.

With school returning to in-person learning all five days, things will start to pick up. People will once again become busy with homework and extracurriculars, and it will become more difficult to continue these newly learned hobbies unless students set aside time for it. However, routine will ensue and that is more important as of now.