Students rehearse Ola Over Broadway choreography outside of the classroom. They continued preparing for their performance scheduled to be released in January. (Mindy Forehand)
Students rehearse Ola Over Broadway choreography outside of the classroom. They continued preparing for their performance scheduled to be released in January.

Mindy Forehand

The Show Must Go On

Ola Over Broadway is continuing despite new limitations from COVID-19.

November 19, 2020

For most extracurricular activities, productivity seems to be put on hold due to COVID-19, but Ola High School’s Choir is pushing through the obstacles to continue their annual production of Ola Over Broadway. Despite having to make some changes, Choir students are keeping high spirits while adjusting to new methods of performing. 

Every year, Ola’s Choir puts on an illustrious and exhilarating performance of Broadway medleys, with this year’s theme being Disney. With preparations advancing since the summer, there has been a lot of uncertainty regarding whether this year’s show would be able to be performed live or not. 

“There’s‌ ‌always‌ ‌talk‌ ‌about‌ ‌trying‌ ‌to‌ ‌get‌ ‌performances‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌live,‌ ‌so‌ ‌I’m‌ ‌always‌ ‌optimistic‌ ‌that‌  ‌there’s‌ ‌a‌ ‌possibility‌ ‌that‌ ‌there‌ ‌can‌ ‌be‌ ‌some‌ ‌smaller‌-stage‌ ‌version‌ ‌of‌ ‌what‌ ‌we‌ ‌do,” Mindy Forehand, choir director, said. 

Forehand continued explaining their plan to film a recorded version of the show, with some adjustments such as no costumes and not performing on a stage. Once they film the performance, they will record the songs separately and overlay them. Current plans involve uploading the performance for people to view from the comfort of their homes. While the show will continue, students still have mixed emotions surrounding their loss of a live show. 

“Ola‌ ‌Over‌ ‌Broadway‌ ‌was‌ ‌one‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌things‌ ‌I‌ ‌was‌ ‌really‌ ‌looking‌ ‌forward‌ ‌to‌, ‌being‌ ‌like,‌ ‌a‌ ‌theater‌ ‌student‌ ‌merged‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌chorus‌ ‌student.  ‌I’m‌ ‌also‌ ‌a‌ ‌senior‌ ‌so‌ ‌it’s‌ ‌kind of  ‌hard‌ ‌in‌ ‌that‌ ‌sense‌ ‌because‌ ‌you‌ ‌don’t‌ ‌know‌ ‌what’s‌ ‌going to  ‌happen… But‌ ‌I‌ ‌feel‌ ‌like‌ ‌most‌ ‌people‌ ‌are‌ ‌keeping‌ ‌a‌ ‌positive‌ ‌mindset‌ ‌about‌ ‌it,” Olivia Vicos, senior, said.

The main attitude for students has been to keep high morale about the situation despite plans having to change from what is typically done each year. 

Choir performers flash smiles to the camera as they practice dance routines for the show. The dedication continued to show as they adjust to the new methods of school productions due to COVID-19.

“Personally, I don’t really like that we can’t have the full experience. But, I know that Mrs. Forehand will make it the best thing we do all year, as long as we have full participation for everyone,” Madison Gonzales, sophomore, said.

“It’s all about hope, it’s all about giving kids hope right now. Trying to find a way to get them excited about anything,” said Forehand. 

With a recorded performance being the primary option at the moment, preparing for Ola Over Broadway this year involves song rehearsals in class and in Google Meets for students online. Forehand has been working to acquire the rights of their song selections to be able to upload the performances to YouTube. 

“If you film something and reproduce it, you have to have the rights for it, so this company goes and talks to Disney, and Disney says, ‘well we’re not terribly comfortable with putting that much of our music on a DVD, how about if she puts it public on YouTube, and instead of paying us, we’ll just put our code on it and we’ll get all the proceeds for the views,’ and I thought well that saved me thousands of dollars so great!”

While they have had to come to terms with the switch from live performance to recording, choir students and staff continue to keep an optimistic attitude while preparing for this year’s show, albeit not exactly how they may have thought before this year. 

Ola Over Broadway intends to release their performances online during the first week of Jan. in 2021.