It is not a piece of cake

Salina Patel, Staff Writer

“It is a piece of cake,” they said. “It will be the best year of your life,” they said. Well they lied.

I thought it would be easy but it really isn’t. Senior year is not a piece of cake and the first semester has proved it not to be the best year of my life. It is the last year I have as a kid. I am preparing myself for the rest of my entire life; the decisions I make this year determine the rest of my life.

I thought that applications would be simple. I mean filling out your name and writing a few essays? Can’t be too difficult. I was completely wrong. I am drowning in college and scholarship applications while still trying to maintain my social life and GPA. Juggling five AP classes and a million extracurricular does not really help the tight schedule.

People keep telling me I about going to remember this year as one of the greatest years of my life; looking at it now, I feel like all I will remember is the tears and sweat put into trying to get every thing done.

Am I the only one scared to death about making these decisions? I’ve applied to two schools and I wonder how people apply and get into five or six. It was a push to finish those two applications and to think that I might want to apply to more. Why are seniors expected to write multiple essays and fill out 9 page applications when we have our final year together to enjoy?

I  guess we all have to just deal with it. If we want to have a bright future then the tedious task of filling out applications for acceptance and college money is necessary. It just would have been nice if I would’ve gotten some advice about what was going on or started earlier.

I would just like to tell all of you underclassmen something about senior year. Get started early, make resumes, and have a plan. First semester the senior year is not a walk in the park like it is made out to be, maybe second semester is, but first is sure as heck not.

About the Writer
Salina Patel, Staff Writer

Salina is a senior and a staff writer of the Hoof Print. This is her first year of journalism but she is involved in many other organizations in the school...