Mustangs Earn Coveted Spots in the Governor’s Honors Program

Six of the twenty students that were nominated for the Governor’s Honors Program have been accepted.

GHP finalists Casey Loftin, Jalen Cornell, Harrison Stenson, Jessica Phillips, Mary Mangual, and Chrissy Curry. Not pictured: Tyler Patrick

Megan Fowler

Sav Simpson, Staff Writer

Governor’s Honor Program hopefuls across the state just received exciting, or as Mr.Burns would say, “Life-changing” news in their emails confirming their acceptance into the Governor’s Honors Program.

According to Mr. Shedd, principal, Ola is sending more students than any other school in the county.
GHP is a residential summer program for gifted and talented students going into the 11th and 12th grades. During the summer, the students will travel to Valdosta State University and spend 4-5 weeks experiencing different aspects in the programs of their interest.
Through a series of many interviews and levels, six Ola Mustangs have been accepted so far, doubling last year’s total of three.

Jalen Cornell, junior, feels very accomplished after he found out he was accepted into the honors program in the engineering field. Last year, Cornell advanced to the state level last year and did not advance further.
Mary Mangual, junior couldn’t believe it when she opened up the email; last year she felt like she was a puddle after not being accepted. “Now I feel the work has really paid off; it’s a huge gift,” she said. The first thing Mangual wanted to do was call her mom to tell her the exciting news.

Harrison Stenson, junior, felt very glad and happy when he hear the good news that he would be accepted into the honors program. “The first thing I wanted to do was tell someone about my acceptance,” Stenson stated.

Students will report to the program at VSU on June 21, 2015.

Congratulations to the Ola High School Governor’s Honors Program Finalists.

• Communicative Arts: Mary Mangual and Jessica Phillips
  • Music – Cello: Harrison Stenson
  • Technology: Jalen Cornell and Tyler Patrick; alternate Casey Loftin
  • Visual Arts: Chrissy Curry