OHS and OMS Outstanding Orchestras

On the 12th of May, the OHS and OMS orchestras joined forces to perform a great concert featuring the different classes.

Junior%2C+Mackenzie+Dean+practices+before+the+concert+starts+in+order+for+a+great+performance.+She+had+put+a+lot+of+hard+work+and+effort+in++perfecting+the+music+her+teacher+gave+her.+

Sav Simpson

Junior, Mackenzie Dean practices before the concert starts in order for a great performance. She had put a lot of hard work and effort in perfecting the music her teacher gave her.

Sav Simpson, Staff Writer

At 7:00 on the night of May 12th, the OMS and OHS orchestras combined to bring a music filled concert to end the 2014-2015 school year and the end of the middle schools’ teacher’s last concert.

The side of the gym closest to the ROTC wing of the high school was packed of supporters of students in both orchestra classes who were eager to hear the performance.

The different classes from both schools took turns performing and accepting their awards for their fine arts performance. William Scruggs, high school orchestra teacher, and Carl Rieke, middle school orchestra teacher joined together to conduct arrangmements that involved both the middle and high school students.

The OHS Symphonic orchestra performed along side with the 7th grade orchestra; the seniors played with the 8th grade class. At the end of the concert, Mr. Rieke had the honor of conducting the senior orchestra students in their final piece which was very emotional for a lot of people.

Rising freshman Meredith Greene stated that she is looking forward to getting to learn new techniques and learn to play difficult music. ” I really enjoyed playing with the seniors and hearing all the great music that highschoolers play,” Greene said.

After talking to many rising ninth graders, they were very pleased with the quality of the concert and will miss Mr.Rieke next year but look forward to having Sruggs as their new teacher. 

“I really enjoyed playing with the senoirs and hearing all the great music that highschoolers play.””

— Meredith Greene

Two freshmen from the Symphonic orchestras get together and pose before the concert. They were prepared for the performance that night.
Sav Simpson
Students are anxious for their last performance of the 2014-2015 school year. They were ready for the concert to unfold in front of them.
Sav Simpson
Seniors from the Chamber orchestra choose to wear what they wish to the last performance of their high school career. The students accepted awards that night from the fine arts program.
Sav Simpson

Orchestra teacher Mr. Sruggs looks forguidence from Mr. Rieke in order to keep the two orchestras in time. The song was performed beautifully.
Sav Simpson
Freshman Britney Watkins accepts an award from the Symphonic OHS orcestra. She showed hard work and determination and that is why she was chosen for the award.
Sav Simpson
Leslie Knowles, freshman, practices before the concert on the hard part of the music. She was ready for the concert to start.