Hasta Luego Skype

Students were robbed the opportunity to communicate in Spanish with Costa Rican students due to American technical difficulties.

Sav Simpson, Social Manager

The small school in Costa Rica is known as Colegio Técnico Don Bosco. The small techical school was prepared for the Skype activity when Ola was not.
Dorcas Acosta
The small school in Costa Rica is known as Colegio Técnico Don Bosco. The small technical school was prepared for the Skype activity when Ola was not.

Dorcas Acosta, Spanish II teacher, planned on video chatting Costa Rican students via Skype but the students were denied the opportunity because of technical difficulties on our behalf.

Acosta tried different methods of communication such as Google Hang-Out and video chat because the programs uses less bandwidth. Skype requires an excessive amount of bandwidth which is not supported by our building’s system.

Unfortunately, the Costa Rican teacher denied the other methods of communication because it would consume class time that was valuable to her students considering she only sees them twice a week.

Acosta’s husband attended the small Costa Rican school, grades K-13, when he lived in the small rural and was how her class grabbed the opportunity of Skyping the students. He had connections with the teacher and set up the opportunity for the students to communicate for 20 minutes in both Spanish and English.

“You are talking about a school probably in a rural area of Costa Rico, which Costa Rico is one of the most developed Central American countries but, this school is not in the very best socioeconomic area and it was put there to give those kids an opportunity for a top notch education which they do have,”Acosta said.

Students were let down when word got round that the project was no going to work. It was designed to give students the chance to speak with an authentic Spanish speaking person.

“When the student sees they can actually have a real authentic use for what they are learning, the self sanctification of knowing that what you are learning is actually applicable to life is incredible,” Acosta stated.

Various students where let down when they were told the program would not work considering Acosta succeeded in Skyping the students when she taught in Clayton County.

“I was disappointed because my biggest problem in Spanish is comprehension via the ear,” Caleb Keitt, senior, said. Keitt looked forward to being introduced to authentic Spanish and thought it was hilarious when he found out the issue was on our end.

Caroline Boutwell, junior, admitted she was frustrated as well with the technology in our building and was let down. “I was really disappointing because I really wanted to get practice with people who truly speak Spanish,” Boutwell said. She was nervous about using common American slang while communicating in English but realized the Costa Rican students would be nervous too.

Even though the activity did not work this time, the language department hopes to try again once the air clears with the Spanish school. Acosta is wiling to do anything to provide a great chance for students to communicate with other students across the sea and will not let technology drag her down.