Mustangs lunge for success

Valuable analysis and advice is given by members of the Mustang’s football team and encourage a positive attitude going into today’s game against Union Grove.

Starting+players+on+the+varsity+team+focus+in+on+to+what+is+being+said+before+going+out+to+play+another+half+against+the+Wolfpack.+They+kept+their+head+held+high+and+kept+an+optimistic+mind+about+the+next+half+in+the+game.+

Mikhail SIms

Starting players on the varsity team focus in on to what is being said before going out to play another half against the Wolfpack. They kept their head held high and kept an optimistic mind about the next half in the game.

Sav Simpson, Social Manager

The Mustangs football team reflects over the loss against the Woodland Wolfpack and keeps their heads up for today’s game against Union Grove.

Jared Zito, head football coach, thought the team was well prepared for last Fridays’ game in Wolfpack territory, but he was concerned about how consistent the team would perform. “ I was real proud of our effort in the second half, in the third quarter especially. If we had had that kind of execution in the first half, it would have been a different outcome,” Zito said.

According to Zito, the offensive and defensive schemes do not change drastically, but they can be tweaked and adjusted for the game situations. Zito’s offense is split back rear with  defense being odd man.

The defensive line strives to have movement on the snap, slant players, create disruption on the offensive line along with crossing the offensive line to get to the quarterback.

The current record of the team is 2-3 going into the game against Union Grove, and Zito believes that the team has strengthened from last year.

“I think in some things we certainly are better than we were last year. You know I still think we are facing some hurdles to get over, and learns how to execute for four quarters and learn how to finish games against good opponents. And a lot of that has to do with trying to change the climate and culture of Ola football that’s existed for ten years,” Zito stated.

Zito also believes that experience is a huge contributor to the success rate of the team considering most of the juniors and seniors are first year starters, however; they continue to fight and do what they can.

“I still beleive perfect practice makes perfect, and the better you do things consistently, the more it builds motor skill memory, just have some confidence. I think for us the biggest challenge is during the practice week, we practice hard but need to pay attention with a purpose,” Zito said.

Freshman, Jair Rushin blocks people on the defense as a safety and travels with the ball as a running back on the offense. “I thought it was going to be a close game. We didn’t preserver. we didn’t run though our blocks. “ We didn’t’ do our assignments,” Rushin said.

Rushin believes that people failed to hold onto the ball and used the rainy weather conditions as an excuse. “Practice. We’ve gotta have more reps, get better and that will lead us to success,”Rushin stated.

Limsan Ow, sophomore, is a quarterback on the offensive line and a safety on the defensive string. “Some people were drowning themselves, some people started doing their own thing. I watched and they didn’t execute the plays right and kinda gave up on themselves,” Ow said after evaluating the game from the sidelines last Friday night. “Go hard, and every single time go hard,” Ow concludes.

Left tackle Zack Martin, senoir, thought that the players were very confident going into the game against the Wolf pack and says that the weather definitely had an affect on the outcome because the ball was harder to grip.

“We started getting really nervous because, and this happens in a lot of our games, whenever the other team is up by two or three touchdowns, we start to get really nervous, we astarte to get unconfident. But then near the second quarter or the end of the second quarter, we start to come back and getting more confidence by saying we got a whole other half and that we can do this. And we come out with all our hearts and just go at it,” Martin said.

Martin is convinced that in order to become more successful, players should pay attention to their positions, know where they have to go, have more energy and ask questions when needed. Martin also suggests that by staying calm and lose, the team will be more successful.

“Never give up even if you are below starting. Never give up because you will always have a chance to get in. There is always a chance to get in,” Martin stated.

With an ending losing score of 14-36 against the Wolfpack, Zito is persuaded that you must remain calm in order to have a winning score at the end of Friday nights. “Relax. Don’t let the game be too big for [the players] in the moment. Just do what [you] have been coached to do and what [you] are capable of doing and just be consistent. Just trust in the plan, [and] trust in your teammates,” Zito stated.

A member of the team executes a perfect catch before the game started in warm up. Before the weather hit, players were capable of holding onto the ball without the interference of the rain.
Mikhail Sims
Mikhail SIms