Robinson raises awareness

Sophomore Taylor Robinson thinks outside the box to create awareness to this year’s kindness week.

Nots+of+kindness+are+seen+all+around+the+school.+This+showed+that+people+were+affected+by+Robinsons+efforts+and+decided+to+make+a+change.+

Sav Simpson

Nots of kindness are seen all around the school. This showed that people were affected by Robinson’s efforts and decided to make a change.

Sav Simpson, Social Manager

Taylor Robinson, sophomore, volunteered to tackle this year’s Kindness week to bring awareness of the hurtful behavior witnessed everyday at school.

Susan Bryan-Lewis, early childhood education teacher, wanted to have something special planned for Kindness week to highlight the impact of someone saying hello in the halls, according to Robinson. Bryan- Lewis had several ideas and Robinson took on the large task by herself.

“I took it upon myself to create the website because I wanted to make it bigger than it seemed,” Robinson said.

Inspiration to bring awareness to oblivious students was the need for kindness in her schools’ surroundings. “I see people all the time that don’t say thank you to anybody that does something for them and it just bothers me,” Robinson stated.

Throughout the week, the students have been affected by different ideas created by Robinson to show what impact hostile behavior carries. Robinson’s objectives to inform students of intolerant behavior was influenced by a Twitter page which then created the fake fight scene demonstrated at lunch.

Robinson also created a “kindness chain” that consisted of an estimated 357 acts of kindness people can engage in on a daily basis. The chains mentioned things such as telling someone you look pretty to sitting by the kid that is alone at lunch.

Because of late notice, the consciousness of Kindness week was not as amplified as Robinson hoped for. “This year, it was kind of a last minute thing so next year we want to work on making it bigger and more planned out. We can get more people involved and not have to rush,” Robinson said. “Next year we will be more prepared and better.”

” I know it won’t take away everything bad that happens here at Ola, but I do hope that people realize that stuff that they do hurts people and that we can all change that and make a difference.””

— Talor Robinson

Nots of kindness are seen all around the school. This showed that people were affected by Robinson's efforts and decided to make a change.
Sav Simpson
357 ideas of kindness creates the green and gold chain found int he commons area. People wrote comments and ideas they thought should be on the kindness chain.
Ethan Zakrewski
Braylan Cochran and Savannah English hug to show that to be kind is to have friends for life. Friends are made by showing love and kindness regardless of the situation.
Green and gold chains hang with pride in the commons area to show students want to stand up to hostile behavior seen in the hallways. Kindness dominated in the commons area.