E-SPLOST potentially expands the future

The E-SPLOST referendum offers multiple renovations and improvements to the Henry County School System including a variety of things.

In efforts to get Ola on the first tier for renovations, administration has announced it on the marquee. The informational meeting was scheduled for January 28th which will take place in the commons.

Sav Simpson

Sav Simpson , Social Manager

New developments for Henry County Schools could be made possible if supporting parents and school members vote yes for the E-SPLOST referendum which will be discussed at the meeting held on January 28th in the commons area.

Sav Simpson
In efforts to get Ola on the first tier for renovations, the administration has announced it on the marquee. The informational meeting was scheduled for January 28th which will take place in the commons.

The proposed vote offers such things as new turf fields and a new performing arts center for students to use in efforts to improve the school system which will be voted on March 1st. However, if the offer passes, the new construction will not start until 2019 which will cost over a couple hundred million dollars.

The referendum has set three tiers for the different schools to show which schools will be renovated first. As of now, Ola is in the second tier which does not make sense to the football coach, Jared Zito.

Considering the circumstances, Ola has the main football field, but only has one other field that is used for various purposes. The marching band has to make use of the green on the baseball field and the football field is forced onto a slot of land which is not the correct size for an official game.

“Now that we have a lot of teams practicing on it [the football and practice field], it’s not very safe for our student-athletes,” Zito said.

According to Zito, the turf fields is the most important offer the E-SPLOST proposes. The referendum also proposes an added athletic building to give extra practice space to various after school activities. The E-SPLOST also offers a new rubber track in all efforts to upgrade some of the student-athlete circumstances.

The referemdum also offers a new rubber track to improve the athletic practices at each Henry county high school. Currently, the track at Ola had endured 10 years which is why the track is in the condition it is in.
Sav Simpson
The referendum also offers a new rubber track to improve the athletic practices at each Henry county high school. Currently, the track at Ola had endured 10 years which is why the track is in the condition it is in.

Zito also does not understand why Ola is on the second tier for renovations if the bill was to pass and is anxious to find out why. In the Henry County School System, Ola has the smallest land to support both a high and middle school.

“The one field we have isn’t even a full field. From a football standpoint, it’s not even 100 by 53 and a third,” Zito said. In addition, Zito claims the field is in horrible condition and does not drain well which leads to other issues.

Along with other offers, the E-SPLOST proposes to replace the grass football fields with turf to endure the weather and reduce mud. Zito wanted Ola to be on the first tier to receive the renovations to improve the athletic program faster.
Sav Simpson

“Last summer, we had Elite Lawns donate a couple pallets of sod, and a lot of our players came out and we literally re-sodded it ourselves,” Zito stated.

Because of the desperate need of field improvements along with practice space, Zito encourages all supportive members of the community to attend the informational meeting in efforts to get people to vote for the renovations included in the E-SPLOST.

“We are just limited,” Zito stated. In efforts to spread the information with the community, Zito has talked to booster clubs and has had his football coaches raise awareness in order to get the important memo out.

Having a little plot of land beside the elementary school helps some but also includes high transportation and safety precautions according to Zito. Zito also explained that Ola is the first school he has worked at that does not have an extra athletic gym space or its own auditorium which was shocking.

In efforts to get the referendum passed, Zito is willing to get the vote out in order for the community to work as a team to vote to support the schools. You can go to the Henry County School System web page for more information.

The E-SPLOST rereferendum proposes new technology for Henry County Schools. Daily, students have experienced the problems with the current school provided technology.
Sav Simpson
The E-SPLOST referendum proposes new technology for Henry County Schools. Daily, students have experienced the problems with the current school provided technology.