When things don’t go as planned

Jessica Phillips, Staff Writer

The sun sets on a glorious day. One must always look forward.
Jessica Phillips

Disappointment is defined as the feeling of sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one’s hopes or expectations.

A non-fulfillment of a goal that one usually has spent endless amounts of time working toward, a non-fulfillment of something that one has given their all for.

And not succeeding is one of the hardest aspects of life, especially when one really feels as if something is important to them. When something truly feels means everything to that someone.

This past Saturday, the VEX team competed at the state tournament. The two prior years to this, the VEX team has placed first in the tournament. They had come out as state champions and therefore they got to the VEX world competition. This year, however, the team didn’t even get the chance to compete in semi-finals, thus entails them not qualifying for worlds at all, having to relive the disappointment over when they had to endure hearing that they did not win the Design award, or the Excellence award.

My twin brother is an active participant in VEX. He has been a part of the team since his sophomore year, and he has given countless hours and time to the robots, and to the other members of the team. Not only that, but I’ve watched him be so proud of his accomplishments through this program. He has begun to shine because of this program – and because of VEX, he has found a career field that he will – with no doubt – excel in.

In this program, my brother has made numerous friends and has received encouragement from a coach that pushes her students to be the best they can be. My brother has grown confident – and watching my brother shine because of this program, I am able to say without a doubt that this program has done the same for so many of the other boys and girls who are proud to be a member of it.

So when the team didn’t qualify at all for the worlds competition… It crushed them. It was such a disappointment because this team is without a doubt, not accustomed to not succeeding. A team full of students who’ve attended and been nominated for GHP, students who excel in their academics, and are the future of America’s STEM generation.

And I was sad. I watched my brother who has worked so hard for this program, be crushed by the disappointment of not bringing his team to world’s competition as a senior. I watched a team full of boys pretend to shrug off something that was a big deal to them as if it were nothing.

And I felt so bad.

But my brother said something that made me so proud.  When it was all over, and the disappointment slightly subsided, I asked him how he felt. He smiled at me and said, “I’m going to come back and help them next year. We’ll get back to worlds.”

And that’s the way to look at things.

Disappointment comes in a variation of facades. It can be so real. It can be so ragged. It can come in the form of numb silence, and tears that’ll pour down one’s face. But in any of it’s form, it is defeating. It hurts. It can take so much out of you and could convince you that you’re not good enough to keep going.

But don’t let go. Don’t give up.

When everything feels like it’s lost – keep searching.

Because there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. There is no time for giving up in the clock of your life. Failure is not an option.

Never give up.