Hoof Print Staff recommends Good Reads on World Book Day

World Book Day is a celebration of the love we have for literature.

Jessica Phillips, Business Manager

March 3 is recognized as World Book Day. A wonderful day with a wonderful message: to encourage people to participate in literary actions. In an age of technology, it is important to remember that books are the window to another world and that with this, comes an experience like no other. It is so incredibly important to keep encouraging the youth and even those beyond it, that we are to keep reading and allowing ourselves to grow through literature and the experiences that we get from it.

In recognition of this day, the Hoof Print staff has decided to put together a list of books that we’ve loved and books that we didn’t love so much. We hope that through this list, you find yourself wanting to pick up one of our recommendations and that you experience the love – or dislike – like we did.

HOOF PRINT LIST OF GOOD READS 

1. In Cold Blood, by: Truman Capote

Rated: 5 out of 5 by Ashley Soriano, editor-in-chief

Why Ashley liked it: It chronicles the investigation of a murder in a small Kansas town. This book is the perfect combination of journalism and mystery.

2. The Secret Life of Bees, by: Sue Monk Kidd

Rated: 5 out of 5 by Ashley Soriano, editor-in-chief, and 5 out of 5 by Jessica Phillips, business manager

Description of Novel: Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily’s fierce-hearted black “stand-in mother,” Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina–a town that holds the secret to her mother’s past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna.

Why Ashley liked it: Everyone has struggles, and nearly anyone can relate to the protagonist and narrator Lily Owens. Because of this relatability, one must love this book. The way she stays strong inspires readers to overcome struggles, not succumb to them.

Why Jessica liked it: I think this novel is a crucial novel for everyone to read, as it is filled with so much that is incredibly real. This book connects to many real life occasions. Many people would feel the strength that the author writes with and the reality of the emotion.

3. Life Of Pi, by: Yann Martel

Ratings: 2 out of 5 by Savannah Simpson, social media director, 5 out of 5 stars by Serena Moodie, staff writer, and 5 out of 5 by Ashley Briggs, staff writer

Why Serena liked it: I like this book because as you read it, you can imagine yourself in the shoes of Pi. Yann Patel is very descriptive in this novel to the point where as you’re reading, you can imagine every scene in your head. It feels like you’re watching the movie as you’re reading the novel. If you like books that has you at the edge of your seat, but not too close to the edge where you’re about to fall, then this is the book for you.

Why Ashley liked it: Life of Pi is a fantasy adventure novel by Yann Martel published in 2001. The protagonist, Piscine Molitor “Pi” Patel, a Tamil boy from Pondicherry, explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. He survives 227 days after a shipwreck while stranded on a boat in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. The ending is definitely worth it. 🙂

Why Savannah didn’t like it: The Life of Pi is all about this boy who practices three religions and gets stuck on a boat with a bunch of wild animals. In my opinion, this book is nothing but utter confusion about everything. It is a book in which you decide what actually happened and what was exaggerated. Life of Pi is written with great words to create an image in your head of the scene, but there are to many components that create the feel of making fun of someone’s belief. In my head, I take it offensive when the boy is three different religions because it creates a mockery of religions that could be made beautiful.

4.  Splintered Series, by: Anita G.Howard

Rating: 5 out of 5 by Calye Beale, staff writer

Why Calye liked it: I love this book series because it puts a twist on Alice in Wonderland and gives you an idea on what happened to Alice and what’s become of her ancestors.

5. The Red Queen, by: Victoria Aveyard

Why Calye liked it: It is a fierce tale about a girl who won’t let her blood define her and has a powerful secret that can change the norms of society.

6. Hush Hush series, by: Becca Fitzpatrick

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars by Calye Beale, staff writer

Why Calye liked it: This book adds a bit of dark fantasy and romance into your life and you can feel the characters emotions.

7. Blythewood series, by: Carol Goodman

Rating: 4 out of 5 by Calye Beale, staff writer

Why Calye liked it: This series is set in the beginning of the 1900s and involves a world of huntresses at war with the Fae. One girl born with both races blood can end the ongoing feud.

8. Razorland series, by: Ann Aguirre

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars, by Calye Beale, staff writer

Why Calye liked it: It was intriguing because it’s set in a dystopian society a hundred years from now. Filled with zombies called freaks and an epic love triangle between the main characters. 

9. Shatter Me, by: Taherah Mafi

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars, by Kayley Boan, student life editor

Why Kayley liked the book: If you were to look up perfection in the dictionary, right under Leonardo DiCaprio would be this book. My goal in life is to write like Mafi, her writing style is so unique that it captures you in the first paragraph. She tells the story of Juliette, a girl who has a power that is almost a curse. Any time she touches someone, she dies. This book is full of plot twist that will Shatter you and mysteries Unraveled that will Ignite your soul. (All first names of the books by the way) Now go to the library, pick up this book, and change your life.

10. Don Quixote, by: Miguel de Cervantes

Rating: 4 out of 5 by Arman Bryan, staff writer

Description: Don Quixote has become so entranced by reading chivalric romances, that he determines to become a knight-errant himself. In the company of his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, his exploits blossom in all sorts of wonderful ways. While Quixote’s fancy often leads him astray – he tilts at windmills, imagining them to be giants – Sancho acquires cunning and a certain sagacity. Sane madman and wise fool, they roam the world together, and together they have haunted readers’ imaginations for nearly four hundred years.

Why Arman liked it: I had heard about Don Quixote, but I wasn’t sure what it was about. I got it for free on iTunes and loved the characters, the adventures, and Miguel de Cervantes’ humorous writing. It deserves all of the praises it receives.

11. Me Before You, by: Jojo Moyes

Rating: 4 out of 5 by Kylie Upole, staff writer

Why Kylie liked this book: I like this book because it’s a love story but also a sad story. This man become quadriplegic and needs a caregiver and they end up falling in love but he only had 6 months to live. This book is kind of predictable when it comes to them falling in love but it’s a sweet story and a good read. There is also a movie coming out about it.

12. You Will Be Made To Care, by: Erick Erickson and Bill Blankschaen

Rating: 5 out of 5 by Ethan Zakrewski, news editor 

Description: Erick Erickson, leading conservative voice and founder of theresurgent.com, teamed up with blogger Bill Blankenschaen on his new book You Will Be Made To Care which discusses both attacks on Christians for expressing their faith, such as former Atlanta fire chief Kelvin Cochran, and his guidance on how believers could regain lost freedoms.

Why Ethan liked this book: This book brought to my attention countless incidents involving Christians that I was previously unaware of. I also thoroughly enjoyed Erickson’s understanding and explaining of the arguments of left-wing ideologists and why they acted in the manner in which they did.

13. Eleanor & Park, by: Rainbow Rowell

Rating: 0 out of 5, by Raven Woodlief, graphics editor

Why Raven didn’t like this book: I don’t think garbage can go bad but if you don’t want me to spoil this book then hop over this review, but take this one word of warning: don’t. Eleanor & Park is by far the worst piece garbage that I have ever read. If someone took a big smelly crap in a book right after too much Taco Bell and put it on a piece of paper it would still be a better novel than this. Romance, in my opinion is always a side plot and should never be the only plot of a book, so that’s the first mistake. When you take that and you couple it with all of the angsty garbage between this ‘“novel’s” covers. The concept is purely illogical and is some of the worst propaganda for young love I have ever read. At one point the girl, Eleanor, tells the boy, Park, that she’s mad at him because he has kissed other people. They’re in high school and she’s mad that he has connected mouths with someone. What kind of refuse is that? That’s the worst thing I have literally ever heard in my entire life. As soon as they meet you know they will do three things: fall in love, get in an argument that results in some big melodramatic fight which they eventually get over, and then in the end they will be separated and know their poor young hearts will never find love again. Of course all of it happens and of course all of it is horribly cliche and utterly disgusting. Much like a train wreck, my gaze could not escape the clutches of this “book.” It kept getting worse and I knew I had to see it out in the end just to see how gross it turned out, just like the death of a senile grandparent. Do not read this book, taking a dump is a better use of your time. Ingesting poison is a better use of your time. Actually anything is a better use of your time.

14. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, by: Michelle Hodkin

Rating: 100 out of 5 stars, by Gracie Henderson, staff writer

An excerpt from the book: “In my rush, I hadn’t tied my shoelaces. Noah was now tying them for me. He looked up at me through his dark  fringe of eyelashes and smiled. The expression on his face melted me completely. I knew I had the goofiest grin plastered on my lips, and I didn’t care.”

Why Gracie liked this book: I love this book so much because it is so quotable and perfect while at the same time being extremely exciting.

15. The Divergent series, by: Veronica Roth

Rating: 5 out of 5, by Ashley Briggs, staff writer

Why Ashley liked it: In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

16. Openly Straight, by: Bill Konigsberg

Rating: 4 out of 5, by Ashley Briggs, staff writer

Description: Rafe is a normal teenager from Boulder, Colorado. He plays soccer. He’s won skiing prizes. He likes to write. 

And, oh yeah, he’s gay. He’s been out since 8th grade, and he isn’t teased, and he goes to other high schools and talks about tolerance and stuff. And while that’s important, all Rafe really wants is to just be a regular guy. Not that GAY guy. To have it be a part of who he is, but not the headline, every single time.
So when he transfers to an all-boys’ boarding school in New England, he decides to keep his sexuality a secret — not so much going back in the closet as starting over with a clean slate. But then he sees a classmate break down. He meets a teacher who challenges him to write his story. And most of all, he falls in love with Ben . . . who doesn’t even know that love is possible.

Why Ashley liked it: This witty, smart, coming-out-again story will appeal to gay and straight kids alike as they watch Rafe navigate feeling different, fitting in, and what it means to be himself.

17. Eat, Pray, Love, by: Elizabeth Gilbert

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars, by Ashley Briggs, staff writer

Why Ashley sort of liked it: In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want–husband, country home, successful career–but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence.

18. An Abundance of Katherines, by: John Green

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars, by Ashley Briggs, staff writer

Description and why Ashley liked it: Katherine V thought boys were gross
Katherine X just wanted to be friends
Katherine XVIII dumped him in an e-mail
K-19 broke his heart
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun–but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

19. Copper Sun, by: Sharon Draper

Description: Amari’s life was once perfect. Engaged to the handsomest man in her tribe, adored by her family, and living in a beautiful village, she could not have imagined everything could be taken away from her in an instant. But when slave traders invade her village and brutally murder her entire family, Amari finds herself dragged away to a slave ship headed to the Carolinas, where she is bought by a plantation owner and given to his son as a birthday present.

Survival seems all that Amari can hope for. But then an act of unimaginable cruelty provides her with an opportunity to escape, and with an indentured servant named Polly she flees to Fort Mose, Florida, in search of sanctuary at the Spanish colony. Can the elusive dream of freedom sustain Amari and Polly on their arduous journey, fraught with hardship and danger?

20. Jude the Obscure, by: Thomas Hardy

Description: In 1895 Hardy’s final novel, the great tale of Jude The Obscure, sent shockwaves of indignation rolling across Victorian England. Hardy had dared to write frankly about sexuality and to indict the institutions of marriage, education, and religion. But he had, in fact, created a deeply moral work. The stonemason Jude Fawley is a dreamer; his is a tragedy of unfulfilled aims. With his tantalizing cousin Sue Bridehead, the last and most extraordinary of Hardy’s heroines, Jude takes on the world and discovers, tragically, its brutal indifference.

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars, by Mary Mangual, editor-in-chief

Why Mary didn’t like it: Everybody dies.

21. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, by: Carson McCullers

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars, by Mary Mangual, editor-in-chief

Description: At its center is the deaf-mute John Singer, who becomes the confidant for various types of misfits in a Georgia mill town during the 1930s. Each one yearns for escape from small-town life. When Singer’s mute companion goes insane, Singer moves into the Kelly house, where Mick Kelly, the book’s heroine (loosely based on McCullers), finds solace in her music. Brilliantly attuned to the spiritual isolation that underlies the human condition, and with a deft sense for racial tensions in the South, McCullers spins a haunting, unforgettable story that gives voice to the rejected, the forgotten, and the mistreated–and, through Mick Kelly, to the quiet, intensely personal search for beauty.

Why Mary liked it: Am I a communist? Am I man? Maybe I will never know.

22. Anthem, by: Ayn Rand

Rating: 0 out of 5, by Mary Mangual, editor-in-chief

Description: Anthem has long been hailed as one of Ayn Rand’s classic novels, and a clear predecessor to her later masterpieces, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. In Anthem, Rand examines a frightening future in which individuals have no name, no independence, and no values. Equality 7-2521 lives in the dark ages of the future where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, and all traces of individualism have been wiped out. Despite such a restrictive environment, the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in him–a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, Equality 7-2521 dares to stand apart from the herd–to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin. In a world where the great “we” reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word–“I.”

Why Mary didn’t like it: This book makes me ashamed to be a woman in a free market economy. It makes me wonder what the poor people in Haiti did wrong.

23. Orlando, by: Virginia Woolf

Rating: 5 out of 5, by Mary Mangual, editor-in-chief

Description: Virginia Woolf’s Orlando ‘The longest and most charming love letter in literature’, playfully constructs the figure of Orlando as the fictional embodiment of Woolf’s close friend and lover, Vita Sackville-West. Spanning three centuries, the novel opens as Orlando, a young nobleman in Elizabeth’s England, awaits a visit from the Queen and traces his experience with first love as England under James I lies locked in the embrace of the Great Frost. At the midpoint of the novel, Orlando, now an ambassador in Costantinople, awakes to find that he is a woman, and the novel indulges in farce and irony to consider the roles of women in the 18th and 19th centuries. As the novel ends in 1928, a year consonant with full suffrage for women. Orlando, now a wife and mother, stands poised at the brink of a future that holds new hope and promise for women.

Why Mary liked it: A man who wakes up a woman. This is based on a true story.

24. One Hundred Years of Solitude, by: Gabriel Garcia-Marquez

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars, by Mary Mangual, editor-in-chief

Description: The novel tells the story of the rise and fall of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the family. It is a rich and brilliant chronicle of life and death, and the tragicomedy of humankind. In the noble, ridiculous, beautiful, and tawdry story of the family, one sees all of humanity, just as in the history, myths, growth, and decay of Macondo, one sees all of Latin America.

Why Mary liked it: In the first sentence, a protagonist faces a firing squad and all he can think of is the epic discovery of ice.

25. Atlas Shrugged, by: Ayn Rand

Rating: 5 out of 5, by Emilie Castillo, arts and entertainment editor

DescriptionThis is the story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world and did. Was he a destroyer or the greatest of liberators? Why did he have to fight his battle, not against his enemies, but against those who needed him most, and his hardest battle against the woman he loved? What is the world’s motor — and the motive power of every man? You will know the answer to these questions when you discover the reason behind the baffling events that play havoc with the lives of the characters in this story.  Tremendous in its scope, this novel presents an astounding panorama of human life — from the productive genius who becomes a worthless playboy — to the great steel industrialist who does not know that he is working for his own destruction — to the philosopher who becomes a pirate — to the composer who gives up his career on the night of his triumph — to the woman who runs a transcontinental railroad — to the lowest track worker in her Terminal tunnels.  You must be prepared, when you read this novel, to check every premise at the root of your convictions.

Why Emilie liked it: It’s her master work. Every aspect of the book screams the points she is trying to make. You have to work through it to get the point, and that’s one of her points. It changed the way I see things. I highly recommend it.

26. Allegiant: A Divergent Novel, by Veronica Roth

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars, by Bronlyn Holland, staff writer

Description: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered – fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningliess. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend to complexities of human nature – and of herself – while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Why Bronlyn liked it: I liked it because Tris finds out who she is in this novel. There is more depth into being one person, and what her personality actually is. It shows how dangerous it is to speak your mind, truly.

27. The Gone Series, by: Michael Grant

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars, by Jessica Phillips, business manager

Description: In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young. There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what’s happened. Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It’s a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: on your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else. .

Why Jessica liked it: The books are very well written dystopian novels. I was excited to read this, and I am excited to continue through the series. There is so many twists and turns, and with so many compelling characters, I couldn’t put the book down!

28. Nineteen Minutes, by: Jodi Picoult

Description: Sterling is an ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens–until the day its complacency is shattered by an act of violence. Josie Cormier, the daughter of the judge sitting on the case, should be the state’s best witness, but she can’t remember what happened before her very own eyes–or can she? As the trial progresses, fault lines between the high school and the adult community begin to show–destroying the closest of friendships and families. Nineteen Minutes asks what it means to be different in our society, who has the right to judge someone else, and whether anyone is ever really who they seem to be.

Why Jessica liked it: This novel was the most perfect book I’ve ever read. This book has truly changed my life, and it means so much to me. I talked about it in my GHP interview, and for the first time in my life, I sobbed because of a book. Picoult writes with so much emotion, and I love this novel.

29. The Help, by: Kathryn Stockett

Rating: 5 out of 5, by Jessica Phillips, business manager

Why Jessica likes the novel: The book jumps from different characters in a small town and explores the issues of race and segregation and those who fight to end it, and the dynamics are incredible. This book can teach one so much about love, faith, and community. This book has given me so much to think about, and I think that everyone should read this novel.

30. Water for Elephants, by: Sarah Greun

Description: Orphaned, penniless, Jacob Jankowski jumps a freight train in the dark, and in that instant, transforms his future. By morning, he’s landed a job with the Flying Squadron of the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. By nightfall, he’s in love. In an America made colourless by prohibition and the Depression, the circus is a refuge of sequins and sensuality. But behind the glamour lies a darker world, where both animals and men are dispensable. Where falling in love is the most dangerous act of all..

Why Jessica liked this novel: This book had so many plot twists, and was so full of raw emotion that I hardly could put the book down. I enjoy novels that are realistic and so full of passion. Just like any of Picoult’s book, Greun writes with so much emotion and feelings that one feels so compelled to continue on with these characters.

31. Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by In America by: Barbara Ehrenreich 

rating: 6 out of 5 by Lori Vincent, adviser

Description: Millions of Americans work full time, year round, for poverty-level wages. In 1998, Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join them. She was inspired in part by the rhetoric surrounding welfare reform, which promised that a job — any job — can be the ticket to a better life. But how does anyone survive, let alone prosper, on $6 an hour? To find out, Ehrenreich left her home, took the cheapest lodgings she could find, and accepted whatever jobs she was offered. Moving from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, she worked as a waitress, a hotel maid, a cleaning woman, a nursing-home aide, and a Wal-Mart sales clerk. She lived in trailer parks and crumbling residential motels. Very quickly, she discovered that no job is truly “unskilled,” that even the lowliest occupations require exhausting mental and muscular effort. She also learned that one job is not enough; you need at least two if you int to live indoors.

Nickel and Dimed reveals low-rent America in all its tenacity, anxiety, and surprising generosity — a land of Big Boxes, fast food, and a thousand desperate stratagems for survival. Read it for the smoldering clarity of Ehrenreich’s perspective and for a rare view of how “prosperity” looks from the bottom. You will never see anything — from a motel bathroom to a restaurant meal — in quite the same way again.

Why Lori Vincent loved this book: This is journalism at its finest. What Ehrenreich did is gutsy and the way she relates the experience is eye-opening. Since reading this book, I haven’t been able to un-see the working poor any longer. Their stories, through her social experiment, are the best lessons about what privilege is and how it affects us. Sure, we all have difficulties in our lives, but in my community — in my circle of influence– very few of us recognize how privileged we really are.

** All book descriptions found on goodreads.com

The Hoof Print hopes that you find a book to love today, and that the literature takes you out of this world! Reading remains an important part of our everyday lives, and we hope that you feel it too.

Happy World Book Day!

1 Comment

One Response to “Hoof Print Staff recommends Good Reads on World Book Day”

1. Paul Landerman on March 3rd, 2016 6:58 pm

Congratulations Lori on bringing out these entertaining youthful and vigorous voices. I read each vignette and was educated and entertained by each one even if the nook topic was not in my lane. I admire you got leading young men and women in this academic and mind-expanding adventure that reminded me of my own early days as a high school and college journalism major. Well done!

[Reply]

• Hoof Print Staff recommends Good Reads on World Book Day

Features

Summer’s memory lives on

News

Teachers and administrators welcome students and parents

Features

Patrons prepare to be buttered up

• Opinions

Top Five Father’s Day DIYs

Features

Graduates begin their next chapter in their lives

Features

Students and staff receive rude awakening

Features

Anomaly occurs during OHS blood drive

Students and staffers send off their running Mustangs

Features

Homecoming Brings Ola Together

• Features

What does Ola want to be when we grow up?