Tardy kiosks revamp student check-in

In order to crack down on attendance issues, administration has adopted a new system for tardy students.

Jaret+Youmans%2C+senior%2C+gazes+perplexedly+at+the+800+halls+tardy+kiosk.+The+new+kiosk+system+was+the+result+of+hours+of+research+by+the+administration.+

Jaret Youmans, senior, gazes perplexedly at the 800 hall’s tardy kiosk. The new kiosk system was the result of hours of research by the administration.

Ethan Zakrewski, Online Editor

August 1 is bringing us more than just new students and teachers; OHS administration has implemented a new system for tracking and disciplining students who arrive late to class.

Administration chose to partner with School Conductor to modernize Ola’s tardy check-in system. Now, when a student is late to class, they must visit one of the three tardy check-in kiosks stationed throughout the school, enter their student number, and print their tardy pass before going to class.

“With the system, there is no distinction between a tardy to school and a tardy to class: a tardy is a tardy,” said Nick Ellis, Assistant Principal.

The punishment scale has also been altered from last year. The first three tardies result in verbal warning. The next three tardies, unlike last year, will result in lunch detention. Lunch detention will require a student to spend their lunch at a designated table in silence, a return to middle-school-style silent lunch. Tardies numbers seven and eight will result in morning or afternoon detention,  tardy number nine will result in a meeting between parents and the administration, and tardy number ten will result in an office referral. After tardy number ten, the tardiness becomes “behavior detrimental to learning” which is a section one offense in the Henry County Schools Student Handbook.

“We don’t want to lock students… we want them to be in class and to learn,” said Ellis.

In addition, parents will now receive emails and have the ability to opt into text message alerts when their child arrives to class late.

“This is a new system where students need to pay attention. They need to get to class on time. We are trying to protect academics. We want Ola High School to be the best high school in the county, state, and the nation, and you have to be in the classroom to receive instruction,” said Ellis.