New year brings new test

Photo by Ethan Zakrewski

A computer screen sits open at the MAP testing log-in page. Students took the MAP test during the last two weeks of school

Ethan Zakrewski, News and Online Editor

A new county-wide assessment, the MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) test, took over Ola’s underclassmen over the course of the last two weeks.

The test was taken by all ninth and tenth grade students in the subjects of math and English, and the students will take the test two more times this school year, once at the end of the semester and once at the end of the school year.

“This is basically a benchmark for us to see the students’ growth… it helps us make sure that teachers are teaching and students are learning” said Dr. Tylisa Hill, assistant principal.

“We’re taking a personalized approach to teaching our kids here,” said Hill.

The test is adaptive, which means that the test gets progressively harder with each correct answer and progressively easier with each incorrect answer.

Hayden Carpenter, freshman, found the test to be difficult.

“I thought it was pretty hard because they were testing me over things I didn’t know,” he said.

Teachers are eager to get their hands on the results of the test.

“We [the English department] are looking at the lexile levels of each student so that we can encourage them to read books on or above their lexile level with the hopes of increasing their reading complexity,” said Cherish Donaldson, tenth grade English teacher.”

By all accounts, the actual implementation of the test went really well.

“There were a few times where we encountered difficulties on the MAP side around second period, but all in all, the test went really smoothly,” said Deborah O’Quinn, assistant principal.