Arts come together

Angela Leeper, bassist, practices for the fine arts concert. She has been playing bass for three years.

Photo by Meredith Greene

Photo by Meredith Greene

Meredith Greene, Staff Writer

As of December 4, 2016 Ola High School will have its first ever full orchestra concert.

This is an exciting accomplishment for our band, orchestra, and chorus as members from each art will be involved. Orchestra’s entire chamber class, and select members from band and chorus will be participating in the show and so far we know they are playing three pieces together. This concert will be in December and there will be Christmas music played there, there will be a selection of classical pieces played in their original form.

“In terms of a full orchestra, that’s where we all got our start, band and string players all started in a full orchestra setting many years ago, and through education, divided. Now there are band classes and string classes and we have chorale classes and we rarely get the chance to put them together like they were originally intended,” said Manson

Having a full orchestra performance will be a unique experience for  audience members who have only heard one class play at a time.

“It gives a lot of colors, or timbre [the characteristics of the sound a specific instrument makes]. While a bass is different than a violin because of their range, their sound is the same. It’s the sound of a string instrument with a bow. The string orchestra has a lot of range versatility but not a lot of different sounds. That’s something that’s really more at play in the band world, and when you add choir you have the ability to add text, tell a story, or be more specific with words,” says Wright.

This concert will not only be a treat for the audience, but a learning experience for students as well.

“We’re being conducted under different people, it’ll be interesting to see the other teacher’s conducting styles,” said Laura Anne Beacham, junior band student.

While a full orchestra is a great experience, it also comes with many difficulties involved with putting the three arts together as one.

“It’s all going to feel and sound different. We’ll practice ahead of time but we won’t know what their parts are supposed to do. It has to line up vertically and rhythmically so we’ll do the best we can ahead of time but there’s gonna be some pretty good challenges when we get all together.

We’ll just have to have a game plan as educators and teacher and make sure we go out there and really use those rehearsals to the best of our ability,” says Manson

Not only are there musical challenges but there are also scheduling issues.

“The most difficult thing is always getting everyone together to practice because we meet in very different time,” said Wright

Despite these things, the students seem to be excited for the variety of pieces they’ll be able to play.

Whatever other challenges rise ahead for them, they are prepared to overcome them with what every musician needs, lots and lots of practice.

“Once chamber [orchestra] is done [with their concert] on the 18th, all we’re going to be working on is our full orchestra pieces,” says Wright.

The hard work put into this concert is undoubtedly going to pay off at the concert and the teachers and students involved are excited to show what they can do with the group that their instruments were originally meant to be played in.