Ola’s theater group prepares for GTC

Destiny Hardy and Karis Morrison, both seniors, recite their lines in preparation for the Georgia Theatre Conference's one-act competition. The cast has been rehearsing for weeks in order to return to the event better than before.

Jessica Louis, Staff Writer

The Georgia Theatre Conference (GTC) will be featuring a select group of Ola High School’s theater class in Augusta, Georgia from October 13th through the 15th.

During the conference, the students will get to participate in various workshops, as well as perform a one-act play of their choice.

The theater department’s teacher, Mr. Harbour is steadily working side by side with the cast to make sure that their one-act play, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, is the best it can be.

“You know, you always want to do well and do what’s best for your students, and make sure your kids do the best job they can,” says the drama teacher, Mr. Harbour.

The team rehearses for thirty minutes during third period every day in preparation for the event. Due to the lack of time to completely and confidently rehearse, the cast has decided to take additional time out of their day to practice after school.

“We’re not ready right now, but we’ll definitely pull it together,” said Taylor McHenry, senior.

The majority of the class can be found together between classes, including lunch.

“We work together so well. It’s like a family here,” says Maggie Reardon, senior.

As well as the educational and social gain, the students are also eligible to win awards at the Georgia Theatre Conference. These awards include medals for winning play, as well as personal awards including: best lead actor/ actress, best supporting actor/ actress, and many more.

GTC and numerous other conferences and conventions are heavily prized by the drama department. The pressure to do well for themselves and for Ola High School is evident in the cast’s work ethic.

“We would be Ola High School’s very first time winning state for SETC (Southeastern Theatre Conference), and Ola’s first time going to state,” said Lavaun Thompson, senior.