Volleyball defends County Champion title

The OHS varsity volleyball team strike off their seventh county championship win on Saturday, October 1.

Sydney+Peterson%2C+senior%2C+and+Hannah+Gross%2C+junior%2C+celebrate+their+victory+against+their+great+rival%2C+Union+Grove.+As+a+soon+graduate%2C+Peterson+left+everything+on+the+court.+
Sydney Peterson, senior, and Hannah Gross, junior, celebrate their victory against their great rival, Union Grove. As a soon graduate, Peterson left everything on the court.

Photo provided by Hannah Gross

Photo provided by Hannah Gross

Savannah Simpson, Opinions Editor

The OHS Varsity Volleyball team defended their title of County Champions by sweeping Union Grove 3-0  Woodland High School.

Hannah Gross, junior, has been a member of the varsity volleyball team at OHS for three consecutive years, and considers this year’s county tournament to be easier than in the past because only one game had to be played in order to secure their spot in the championship match.

“We played our rivals, UG [Union Grove], first and won, but we knew we would see them again in the finals,” Gross said.

According to Gross, there had been “trash talk” earlier in the day, which helped create motivation to beat the Wolverines in the championship match. “We played them in the championship match and scored the most points on them that we’ve ever had before; it was a 3-0 sweep,” Gross said.

Overall, Gross believes this year’s tournament was much easier than the past; volleyball had taught her time management, how to work as a unit, confidence and patience which all played a key role in there success on October 1.

“In order to be successful, like year’s past, the work put in at practice is going to count,” Gross said.

Head coach, Lonnie Wheeler, believes that this year’s win was not specifically different than in years past. ” Winning any title or championship is always great, whatever the year or circumstances,” Wheeler said.

Wheeler was hit with excitement when the team won the game to defend their title of County Champs for the past three years in a row; especially against their rival of Union Grove.

Wheeler considers the current varsity team to be a very developed team. “This year’s group is a real veteran group. I count on them to make a lot of adjustments on their own without having to wait on my input,” Wheeler said.

Patience and trusting his players to get the job done are two things Wheeler has learned from the vigorous sport. He searches for these aspects as the team advances into the Area Tournament and making it into the state playoffs.

Kendall Peterson, senior, was a fresh face on the 2016 varsity team, playing on the junior varsity in the past. Peterson considers the win to be extremely important to her due to the fact it was her first year on the more advanced team.

“It has been more challenging, but if you put in the effort, it is worth it,” Peterson said.

To go out with a county champion title, Peterson realizes that the sport requires hard work and the love for the sport which is the legacy she wishes to leave behind. As her little sister, Sydney Peterson, plays for the junior varsity team, Peterson wishes to encourage her to do her best and help out all of her teammates.

“It [volleyball] has taught me to learn from my mistakes and always keep trying,” Peterson said.

In years past, the team has swiped the board to bring six county championship wins since the school has been open. This win is number seven, setting the team up to advance into the Area Tournament and State.

Proud coaches, Lonnie Wheeler and Byron Wrenn show off their skilled volleyball players. This wrapped up the sevenths county champion win in OHS history.

Photo provided by Hannah Gross