African American Culture Club provides asylum

The African American Culture club begins its first year to promote, enlighten, and strengthen its members.

Cayson teaches an African American studies class apart from the African American Culture club.  Many of Cayson's students joined AACC to share their knowledge with their community.

Cayson teaches an African American studies class apart from the African American Culture club. Many of Cayson's students joined AACC to share their knowledge with their community.

Jessica Louis, Staff Writer

The African American Culture Club is reintroduced to Ola, this year. The purpose of the club is to educate and uplift African American Students while building camaraderie.

Della Cayson, club founder, began the club because the biggest concern of many African American students that approached her was that the school lacked a proper support system for them. This constant alert saddened Cayson because many teachers, such as herself, strive to make their students feel supported.

“In having the club, I want the students to know that they are cared about; they are loved here; they are valued,”  Cayson  said.

Students who decide to join the club will be held in high esteem. It is mandatory for African American Culture Club members to be exemplary students. This means that behavioral conduct, academic grades, and attire must be elite. As Cayson explains, this is a major part of black culture when it comes to education.

AACC members receive the opportunity to become active and positive members within their own community, whether it is community service, engaging in protests, and peer mentoring.

“I’m looking forward to reaching out to the community and helping the needy,” Rachel Dumas, senior, said.

In the wake of conflict and confusion surrounding the Black Lives Matter movement, the club will, of course, also hold an educational aspect. Club participants can have an open forum to discuss current events and concerns. Cayson plans to teach her students how to conduct themselves in the face of adversity, in an educated and controlled fashion. Students may also get the chance to better understand their rights and better understand their history, in depth, as well.

“I’m joining because I mean why not learn more about yourself,” Yahoshua Reese, junior, said.

As the desired focus for the year is providing knowledge, answering concerns and strengthening the mind and morale; the goal of many students is to obtain the opportunity to have a voice, and use it to help their community.
“I can have a voice for African Americans who don’t have a voice to get others to speak out and be more confident,” Akira Lewis, senior, said.