The success of a student

Spectators+support+the+band+as+they+perform+Midas+Touch.+This+was+the+dinner+and+a+show+event.+
Spectators support the band as they perform Midas Touch. This was the dinner and a show event.

Taylor Watkins

Taylor Watkins

Taylor Watkins, Editor-in-Chief

Life can be anything but easy for a high school student. We go to school for more than 7 hours a day and then go home to stacks of homework. What I find truly amazing is the student who can do that and then be completely dedicated to a sport.

Practice is usually and hour or two, two or more days after school. Some are even longer. Marching band students practice almost every day during the week except Wednesday. Football players have practice every day for almost three hours. Competitions, games or tournaments basically take the entire day or night. In my limited experience with sports, I’ve learned that it’s almost impossible to get work done on meet days.

In my limited experience with sports, I’ve learned that it’s almost impossible to get work done on meet days. It can be overwhelming, but some students do it with grace. They keep up with homework, classes, and sports without missing a beat and that is remarkable.

Athletes put their blood, sweat and tears into the game and yet many of their peers still do not care to support them. Some even have the audacity to complain about their performance. That’s not acceptable; we should be cheering them on not beating them down. I love when people say things like “I could do better than that,” because I would like to see them try.

People are more than willing to attend the Friday night football game, but what about those other sports. Volleyball, softball, any JV game. Student attendance to these games is lacking, and that’s unacceptable. We should support all of our sports and all of our athletes equally.

As students, we should support and have pride in them. We should cheer them on every chance we get and never put them down.

Sports can offer students with scholarship opportunities and the chance to make it to the big leagues. If you are on that path I encourage you to keep going and work hard but always remember that your school supports you. If you ever need any help, well, in my opinion, that’s what it’s here for.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The success of a student”

1. Yaroslav Sherling on December 7th, 2016 11:34 am

The reason why people attending Fridays Football is not because they don’t care about other sports not because of its Varsity game ,its because it is last day of school and people ready to real competition ,JV competing too but its on Thursdays,Friday everyone want just relax .We all fans of different sports !But remember time is limited of what we can do and when we can do.
    GO OLA

[Reply]

2. Shane B on January 11th, 2017 11:01 pm

I agree with Sherling on the fact that students are typically too busy to attend all sports offered here. It doesn’t mean we don’t support our friends and their passions. It’s just that our schedules force us to make decisions on WHEN to support our athletes, as well as to what sport we do that to.
    Keep in mind that in some sports, applause and genuine support at times seems awkward and even rude during the game, such as Golf and Tennis. Ola still supports these teams, but we may not feel comfortable supporting in such a stereotyped audience.
    GO OLA

[Reply]

• Opinions

Top Five Father’s Day DIYs

• Opinions

Chapter 9: Rookie Year

• The success of a student

Opinions

Good-bye, Ola High

• The success of a student

Opinions

Teacher-on-student bullying exists

• Opinions

I’m sorry mental illness isn’t hot

• The success of a student

Opinions

Frugal girl’s guide to prom

• The success of a student

Opinions

Happy belated return, veterans

• The success of a student

Opinions

Depression’s confession

• Opinions

You must see racism to see past racism

• Opinions

The R word is NOT okay