Homecoming Brings Ola Together

Friday, October 28th was a busy day for Ola. The homecoming parade and pep rally cut out most of our class time, but the thrilling result was definitely worth it.

Meredith Greene and Ashley Edwards

Jordan Greenwood and Hudson Harding, seniors, attend the pep-rally after the parade. The court walked through the gym for all to see.

Friday was a day of togetherness for Ola high. It was black out day and whether we wore a tutu or a leather jacket, the halls were a  a sea of black.

Not only did students come together to participate in dressing up, this was also the day students, parents, and teachers got to show off their floats, showing the effort put in by the people that contributed.

The studentsalso displayed their school spirit  during the pep rally. They danced, competed against each other and got hyped up for the  homecoming game that night. The dance team run by Ms.Hall performed their dance routine, the homecoming court was presented, the marching band played some tunes and the seniors were given the spirit stick.

That night, the stands were packed with Union Grove and Ola student body.  Ola’s student section was packed. The game ended with Ola coming out on top, the sore 33-0.

Homecoming has its many traditions and it give students, as well as teachers and administrators, a chance to participate and show some school spirit.

“I feel like the administrators and teachers do stuff [participate in homecoming] which really encourages students to do it too.” Jessica Nelson, junior homecoming court member, said.         

Along with all of the craziness that happened on this day, many people had their first or last experiences with homecoming.

“It’s my first year at Ola and my first year of homecoming. [Homecoming is] getting together as a school and saying yeah we’re doing this.” M.J. McAlister, sophomore, said.

Not only does homecoming bring together Ola students, it unites the entire community.

“It just brings everyone together with a common goal, to make homecoming as good as it can be.” Lavaun Thompson, homecoming king, said.