Mustangs win All-County honors

After a 44-8 season featuring a final four run, member of the Mustangs’ volleyball team were recognized this week.

Lonnie+Wheeler%2C+volleyball+coach%2C+introduces+his+team+at+the+homecoming+parade.+The+team+had+the+best+season+in+Ola+history+this+season.+

Photo by Taylor Watkins

Lonnie Wheeler, volleyball coach, introduces his team at the homecoming parade. The team had the best season in Ola history this season.

Ethan Zakrewski, Online Editor

The Henry Herald released its All-County volleyball team, and many Mustangs cracked the list.

Most notably, senior Riley Cid and coach Lonnie Wheeler won county player of the year and coach of the year respectively

Cid put an exclamation point on her final season at Ola with the honor.

Cid played on the varsity volleyball team through all four of her years at Ola. She set an Ola record for career kills by registering over 1,000 in her career.

This year, Cid was among the team’s leaders as she registered 482 kills in only 116 sets, including a massive 22 kill game against rival Union Grove.

“I just feel like it was really rewarding to have the season we did and have that top it off. Honestly, I couldn’t have done anything without my teammates,” Cid said.

Cid plans to continue playing volleyball in college.

Wheeler is in his second year as volleyball coach, and has played a role in developing the program into one of the state’s most feared.

“Every drill we ran and every speech he gave was simple,” said Allie Sarsany, junior, “During tough games when all of us were all hyped up from adrenaline, he was always the calm center that brought us back down to reality and told us to just play how we know how to.

Wheeler was quick to cite his team for the success they created.

“I’m honored, but I see it as a team award…this season was a perfect storm for Ola to have a great year at volleyball,” said Wheeler.

Other Ola players named to the All-County team include seniors Jennell Horn and Marina Dennis, juniors Skyla Whitaker and Allie Sarsany, and freshman Erin Cid.