Competition cheer faces conflicting emotions

After a successful season with a disappointing conclusion, Mustang cheerleaders face a mixed bag of emotions.

Photo courtesy of Damian Johnson

The cheerleading team poses after placing third. The team trained hard all year for a high finish at state.

Ethan Zakrewski, Online Editor

“[It was] disappointing but exciting,” said Stacey Schmuhl, cheerleading coach, after the Mustangs placed third at the state cheerleading championship last Saturday.

“We were going for first…[finishing third] is still really, really good in a tough division, but we were going for first,” said Schmuhl.

“We knew we could’ve won. That’s the sad part. We could’ve won, but one small mistake cost us,” said Maggie McDevitt, senior.

That small mistake was a slight bobble on a pyramid coming near the end of a routine that had been flawlessly executed prior to that point.

The mistake took enough point deductions away to place the Mustangs at third.

“Now, I have to leave knowing I’ll never be a state champion,” said Celeste Fowler, senior.

Schmuhl is optimistic for a potential return to state championships for the Mustangs.

“I’m excited. We have a really good group of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors that will lead the team. We’re losing some great seniors, but I’m confident I have girls that will step up and lead in their place.”