Hour of code extends past Hudnut’s room

Hudnut's invitation to code reaches out to others.

Taylor Watkins, Editor-in-Chief

For the past few weeks, Richard Hudnut’s students have been using Code.org to experience coding in a new fun way.

Code.org was made by the creators of Internet Explorer and it’s main goal is to extend the computer science to those who may not get the chance to experience it.

“It’s to introduce students to computer science and the logic behind it,” Hudnut said.

Hudnut sees the website has a way to shatter many misconceptions about coding like that it is boring, really hard, or only boys can do.

The website makes coding fun by allowing student to code the functions for different games. This is an example of the classic maze game in which the operator selects the blocks for the functions that will lead the squirrel to the acorn and once they’ve set up all your blocks they click run to see if the code is right or not.

The website also allows people to see the code they’ve just written in the form of JavaScript coding language.

In a world almost dominated by electronics, coding is a tool that can be used to create any app, any website, and now with the 3-D printer, coding can be used to create almost anything.

“The world’s your oyster at that point. They’re 3-D printing houses in China. They’re 3-D printing cars now,” Hudnut said. “In the next ten years, they’ll be 3-D printing organs for humans.”

Kaleb Brinkley, freshman, enjoys the hour of code assignment and wants to go into computer engineering software in the future.

“This is my first year ever doing anything with computers, it just interests me,” Brinkley said. “The longer you stay in his class the more you get to do. I plan on doing it for the next couple years.”

Hudnut sent out an email to the entire school to see if anyone would be interested in being involved in the hour of code, and Tony Head, math teacher, who used to work in IT at Delta and knows the values of coding decided to take his honors math kids to Hudnut for the event.

“Typically IT or programming is an analytical-minded kind of thing and typically honors students are analytical-minded,” Head said.

Taylor Watkins
Head plays the maze code game. He brought his students to Hudnut’s to see what the hour of code was all about.

According to Head, his students had a great time.

Hudnut’s students were in charge of helping Heads students navigate the code games. Many of them enjoy code.org because it allows them to learn code in a fun way and allows them to easily learn from their mistakes.