McDonough marches for MLK Day

The McDonough Square filled with people and excitement Monday, Jan. 16, as the MLK Day parade and celebration took to the streets.

Members+of+Shiloh+Baptist+Church+take+their+message+through+the+streets+Monday+morning.+Several+churches+and+active+community+members+came+out+to+support+and+remember.+
Members of Shiloh Baptist Church take their message through the streets Monday morning. Several churches and active community members came out to support and remember.

Emilie Castillo, Managing Editor

Channel 2 Action News reporters talk with members of the crowd.
The crowd grew as the parade processed.

Darius Patillo, Henry County District Attorney, waves to the gathering crowds. Several local political figures showed their support at the parade and celebration.

The NAACP proudly presents their flag during the parade. The NAACP has organized the MLK Day parade for the past couple of years.

Fairview Elementary School students parade down John Frank Ward Blvd. They were led by their Fairview cheer leading squad sporting “Rise Up” t-shirts.

American Legion Post 516 march in the procession. Many parade participants advertised a cause or group.

Oakland Elementary’s Young Men of Distinction group hold signs and greet the crowd.

Dutchtown High School’s marching band led an enthusiastic procession through the streets. Between the crowds, the bands, and the cheering of parade-participants, the McDonough Square stayed pumped until the parades end.

The Delta Sigma Theta Sorority sisters wave proudly during the parade. Several African American sororities and fraternities marched on Monday.

Ladies of the United Grand Chapter – Order of the Eastern Star – march and wave as they walk down the McDonough Square. This local chapter was established just two years ago in January of 2015.

Members of the Tabernacle of Praise travel down the street in their MLK Day float. Later that afternoon, youth pastor, Sipho Mhlanga, spoke as the key note speaker in the celebration held at the Henry County Performing Arts Center.

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Zeta Mu Nu Chapter, sang and laughed as the parade passed by. The fraternity was established predominantly for the study of black lives and history.

The parade ends with a procession of horses. Shortly after a celebration and remembrance service was held in the HPAC.

Youth Pastor, Sipho Mhlanga, delivers his “Death to Selfie” keynote message during the remembrance celebration. He stood in for Pastor TJ McBride of the Tabernacle of Praise who could not make it due to illness.

The celebration event held after the parade was tied together through a series of dances, songs, and re-tellings of staple Civil Rights movements. The performances were done by students from different Henry County schools.