County encourages reading

A new program is available for students who would like a more convenient and easily accessible way to read.

Kayley Boan, Literary Magazine Editor

Photo by Kayley Boan
Katelyn Perdue, junior, signs into Overdrive to read the e-books. The username and password are the same that gets students into the school computers.

Because technology is a staple in society, many traditional educational programs are being redesigned to fit student’s lifestyle. This year, a county-wide initiative is being introduced in schools to allow for convenient reading on e-books through a program called Overdrive.

Any student can download the Overdrive app and sign in with the same username and password that gets them into the school computers to access the free e-books.

Although it is an electronic book if there is only one user-licence for student use, then only one student can have electronic access at a time. Unlike checking out a physical book in the library, the e-book will disappear from the user’s device after two weeks eliminating late fees.

When reading an e-book on the Overdrive app, students have access to options such as read-aloud, definitions, and text translation.

“The benefit is you have it wherever you go. You don’t have to carry it-it’s already on your device, and you don’t have to worry about losing it or damaging it. There are no late fees— you can check it right back out and also you can put a hold on a book,” Cheryl Benton, librarian, said.

Newer in-demand books, classics required for classes, and books frequently checked out in the library will be the first purchased for student use but the school is hoping to grow its online library over time.

Besides the practical advantages to reading on e-books, the county is hoping to increase reading among high school students.

“I hope kids that used to read a lot in elementary… the ones who really enjoyed reading then will get back into reading because it’s more convenient or they don’t have to come to the library or because no one has to know they’re reading. Sometimes, unfortunately, there’s a negative stigma to enjoying reading so… it’s more private,” Benton said.

If anyone has trouble with the app or has questions on e-books in general, they can see either Benton or Cheryl Brown in the library. They are also taking book suggestions for anyone that would like to read a specific e-book.