Students set up for solar eclipse

On August 21, students have the option to leave school or stay at school to witness the solar eclipse.

Drew+Gebhardt%2C+junior%2C+is+well+equipped+for+the+2017+Solar+Eclipse.+Gebhardt+made+sure+to+purchase+his+shades+before+it+was+too+late.+
Drew Gebhardt, junior, is well equipped for the 2017 Solar Eclipse. Gebhardt made sure to purchase his shades before it was too late.

Drew Gebhardt

Drew Gebhardt

Sav Simpson, Managing Editor

Taking place on August 21, 2017, students will have the opportunity to witness a solar eclipse either from the relaxation of their home or from the grounds of Ola High School.

OHS administration sent out a letter concerning the eclipse, giving students the opportunity to check out early, leave campus at 12:00, or remain inside the school building for the remainder of the extended school day.

The Henry County School System agreed to hold all Henry County Schools from dismissal because of the eclipse’s harmful effects. Students who wish to stay at school will be prohibited from leaving the school building until 4:15 instead of normal release at 3:15.

However, if one wishes to stay at school until 4:15, the chance to witness the eclipse will be given, but only for those who provide their own ISO-approved eye protection. If students do not have appropriate eye wear, a NASA live stream will be available for an alternative.

Landon Knight, freshman, plans to purchase ISO-approved eye protection and witness the eclipse either from the comfort of her backyard or from a television screen. Knight has not yet purchased glasses, but plans on buying a pair as soon as possible.

“I think [it is appropriate for the school to allow students to release early] so kids can see it if they want with proper protection for a learning experience,” Knight said.

Students were also given the chance be excused from the whole day of school if parental documentation was sent to the office, proving the said student was elsewhere for the learning experience.

On the contrary to Knight, Lucas Keener, senior, has chosen to remain inside the walls of OHS while the eclipse takes place. Keener and his 6th period Advanced Placement Music Theory class plan to have a celebration of their own instead of dipping out like other students.

If in need of glasses, Billy Dickerson, AP Environmental Science teacher, bought ISO-approved eclipse glasses, and has been selling them to students for $1 throughout the week. Dickerson considers student safety a top priority.

“I thought it was going to be a great experience for students who are going to be in class to go witness something we are not going to see very often in history. To make sure everything was safe, I went ahead and got the sunglasses that were ISO certified,” Dickerson said.

To be safe, students have been advised to refrain from looking at the sun due to ISO-eye-wear recalls and the dangers the light will bring to the human eye. For more information, go to the NASA website or any local news station.